SurfEasy VPN Review 2023: 4 Cons and 2 Pros
SurfEasy: Simple VPN Has One Major Flaw
- It partially saves logs generated when using the app
- Only supports basic platforms
- It fails to unblock Amazon Prime, Disney Plus and Hulu
- Can only be used on 5 devices simultaneously
- Average download (307 Mb/s) and upload (266 Mb/s)
- Supports use on the Tor network
The SurfEasy is operated by NortonLifeLock Inc, which is a member of Avira Phantom VPN, AVG Secure VPN or Avast SecureLine VPN of Gen Digital Inc. In the parameters and features test, SurfEasy earned an overall score of 7.4/10, ranking it 31 out of 91 in a ranking of all reviewed VPNs.
It lost points in the SurfEasy rankings mainly due to the very narrow group of supported devices, with the app only available for Windows, macOS, Android and iOS. VPNs cannot be used on other platforms.
The app lacks some relatively common features such as whitelisting or the multi-hop connections commonly available with the best VPNs. In our video unblocking test, we were unable to play a stream from Amazon Prime Video, Disney Plus, and Hulu platforms. We’ve made US Netflix series available. It’s also worth noting the rather significant amount of data that SurfEasy collects while using the app. Ironically, it presents itself on the web as a service that protects users’ privacy.
The advantage of SurfEasy is its excellent transfer speed, and in repeated tests we measured average download 307 Mb/s and upload 266 Mb/s.
The SurfEasy has a very simple application with minimal features available, which may suit users who do not expect anything extra from the service. With a subscription price of $2.67, SurfEasy is rather among the cheaper VPNs on the market.
SurfEasy Subscription: Discount Code, Free Trial, Money Back Guarantee…
- Your Price:
$6.4358% off $2.67 /mo (5 devices)
- Money Back Guarantee: Yes (14 days)
- Free Trial: No
- Cryptocurrency payments: NoBitcoin :No
The SurfEasy subscription is available in two variants that differ only in price. The features and parameters of the service are always the same, the subscription with monthly payment $6.43 is less advantageous. More advantageous is the annual subscription SurfEasy paid for the entire period in advance, the price per month is $2.67.
You can use debit and credit cards or PayPal to pay for your subscription. Cryptocurrency payment is not supported by SurfEasy. All orders are subject to a money-back guarantee of 14 days.
Trial version of SurfEasy is not available. The only way to try the service is to subscribe and then take advantage of the money-back guarantee. To redeem it, just write to customer support.
- Your Price:
SurfEasy and Supported Devices: Android, iOS, macOS…
- Device limit: 5
- Android: YesAndroid is supported by 98 % of reviewed VPNs
- Android TV:NoAndroid TV is supported by 37 % of reviewed VPNs
- Apple TV:NoApple TV is supported by 18 % of reviewed VPNs
- Fire TV:NoFire TV is supported by 44 % of reviewed VPNs
- Chromebook:NoChromebook is supported by 21 % of reviewed VPNs
- Chromecast:NoChromecast is supported by 16 % of reviewed VPNs
- iOS:YesiOS is supported by 99 % of reviewed VPNs
- Kodi:NoKodi is supported by 22 % of reviewed VPNs
- Linux:NoLinux is supported by 60 % of reviewed VPNs
- Mac:YesMac is supported by 98 % of reviewed VPNs
- NAS:NoNAS is supported by 25 % of reviewed VPNs
- nVidia Shield:NonVidia Shield is supported by 15 % of reviewed VPNs
- Playstation:NoPlaystation is supported by 20 % of reviewed VPNs
- Raspberry Pi:NoRaspberry Pi is supported by 18 % of reviewed VPNs
- Roku:NoRoku is supported by 16 % of reviewed VPNs
- Router:NoRouter is supported by 54 % of reviewed VPNs
- Windows:YesWindows is supported by 100 % of reviewed VPNs
- xBox:NoxBox is supported by 20 % of reviewed VPNs
- Brave : NoThe Brave browser add-on is offered by 45 % of reviewed VPNs.
- Chrome :NoThe Chrome browser add-on is offered by 45 % of reviewed VPNs.
- Edge :NoThe Edge browser add-on is offered by 19 % of reviewed VPNs.
- Firefox :NoThe Firefox browser add-on is offered by 35 % of reviewed VPNs.
- Opera :NoThe Opera browser add-on is offered by 45 % of reviewed VPNs.
- Safari :NoThe Safari browser add-on is offered by 0 % of reviewed VPNs.
- Vivaldi :NoThe Vivaldi browser add-on is offered by 45 % of reviewed VPNs.
With both monthly and annual subscriptions, SurfEasy can be used on up to 5 devices simultaneously. If you exceed the limit, you can delete any device in your user account and replace it with another. In the context of other VPNs, this is below average, for example Surfshark includes 999 devices.
The SurfEasy app is only available for Windows and macOS computers and Android and iOS mobile devices.
VPNs cannot be used on Android TV, Apple TV, Fire TV or Kodi smart TVs, Playstation and Xbox game consoles, or on alternative Linux and Raspberry Pi systems. The SurfEasy lacks support for traffic on a router that can protect all devices connected to the same network.
The SurfEasy is also not available as a browser extension. While the VPN’s website states that there are extensions for Chrome and Opera, we were unable to track them down.
SurfEasy App: User-friendliness, whitelist, server selection…
- App Languages: 🇺🇸 English
- Whitelisting: NoWhitelisting is supported by 52 % of reviewed VPNs
SurfEasy offers only a minimum of features, making the app clear and easy to use even for less experienced users. The only things that can be activated in the settings are ad blocking and kill switch, for which Wi-Fi Security is used. It does not offer Whitelisting SurfEasy.
The app is only available in a light white and blue theme, the dark alternative is not available. The graphical design is already quite outdated, the only available language is English.
The available servers are shown in list form and also on a map. When the application is started, it automatically connects to the last selected server.
SurfEasy Connection Speed: Upload, Download & Latency
- Traffic limit: Unlimited
SurfEasy does not limit the user in any way in the amount of data transferred, which is the standard of all paid VPNs.
We measured the transfer speeds repeatedly on a gigabit connection and averaged the values. On the optimal server, the download speed of SurfEasy came to 307 Mb/s. This value is suitable for downloading bulky files as well as for playing 4k video, where a speed of at least 50 Mbps is specified as necessary.
The average measured upload 266 Mb/s also ranks SurfEasy among the fastest VPNs, such speed is suitable for torrenting, among other things.
The response speed 35 ms is sufficient for gaming and video calls without annoying lags. For response time as opposed to download or upload, lower is better. For example, NordVPN measured the response of 11 ms, while AdGuard VPN achieved 7 ms.
Ironically, when using a server 500 km away, the download speed increased to 314 Mbps, while the upload dropped slightly to 255 Mbps. The higher speed is probably due to better equipped or less busy servers in a more remote location. We also measured the speed at the most remote server, which was 6,000 km away. The average response time was 199 ms, download speed 167 Mbps and upload speed 116 Mbps.
SurfEasy Server Locations
- Number of servers: 2,000The average number of servers for the reviewed VPNs is 1661.
- Number of countries: 27The average number of countries available for the reviewed VPNs is 40.
Europe 🇧🇪 Belgium 🇨🇿 Czech Republic 🇩🇰 Denmark 🇫🇮 Finland 🇫🇷 France 🇮🇪 Ireland 🇮🇹 Italy 🇩🇪 Germany 🇳🇱 Netherlands 🇳🇴 Norway 🇵🇱 Poland 🇦🇹 Austria 🇷🇴 Romania 🇬🇧 United Kingdom 🇪🇸 Spain 🇸🇪 Sweden 🇨🇭 Switzerland 🇹🇷 Turkey North America 🇨🇦 Canada 🇲🇽 Mexico 🇺🇸 USA South America 🇧🇷 Brazil Asia 🇮🇱 Israel 🇯🇵 Japan 🇸🇬 Singapore Africa 🇿🇦 South Africa Oceania 🇦🇺 Australia
The SurfEasy operates 2,000 servers in 27 countries, but the choice of locations is limited compared to other services. For example, Surfshark gives users and choice of 97 countries, ExpressVPN covers them.
At least one server has SurfEasy allocated on each continent, with most traditionally in Europe. Countries available include Denmark, Finland, Brazil, Japan, South Africa, as well as the US, Canada, the UK and Australia. Of the countries with state censorship, Turkey is available.
All servers offered are identical in terms of available features. The only exception is torrenting, where SurfEasy selects a specific location automatically.
The SurfEasy does not specify which servers are physical and which are virtual. However, in general, servers in exotic countries tend to be virtual, and physical servers in well-covered regions tend to run multiple virtual servers simultaneously.
SurfEasy Security Features: DNS Leak Protection, Kill Switch…
- DNS leak protection : YesDNS leak protection is offered by 93% of the reviewed VPNs.
- Kill Switch: YesKill Switch is supported by 85% of the reviewed VPNs.
- Multi-Hop: NoMulti-Hop connection is offered by 20 % of the VPNs reviewed.
- Tor: YesTor support is offered by 18 % of the reviewed VPNs.
DNS protection is the basic security feature of SurfEasy, and we did not see any leaked requests during our tests.
An important security feature is the kill switch, which disconnects the device from the Internet if the connection to the VPN server is dropped. This prevents the possible disclosure of the user’s IP address and location or compromise of the transmitted data.
The only protocol available for SurfEasy is OpenVPN, which is relatively modern, but other services usually give users more options to choose from. The transmitted data is protected by 256-bit AES encryption, which is considered very secure.
The SurfEasy does not support multi-hop (also known as Double VPN), where all connections are routed through two different VPN servers simultaneously. This practice increases both privacy and security, as a second layer of protection protects the user when the first layer is breached. Multi-hop connections are supported, for example, by NordVPN and Surfshark.
Tor connections are among the supported features of SurfEasy.
Two-factor user account authentication is not supported by SurfEasy. So you only need to enter a password to log in, a code from the mobile app or sent to your email is not required.
SurfEasy & Streaming: Netflix, YouTube, Amazon Prime…
- Amazon Prime: NoAmazon Prime streaming is supported by 51 % of reviewed VPNs
- Disney+: NoDisney+ streaming is supported by 54 % of reviewed VPNs
- HBO: YesHBO streaming is supported by 57 % of reviewed VPNs
- Hulu: NoHulu streaming is supported by 48 % of reviewed VPNs
- Netflix: YesNetflix streaming is supported by 65 % of reviewed VPNs
- YouTube: YesYouTube streaming is supported by 95 % of reviewed VPNs
In a test of unblocking streaming platforms, SurfEasy had mixed results.
The service provider makes no comment on streaming support, we were only able to successfully unblock video from YouTube, Netflix and HBO Max platforms. Playback was smooth and without stuttering. We were not successful with Amazon Prime Video, Disney Plus, and Hulu.
On average, the achieved download speed 307 Mb/s is sufficient for playing 4k resolution video, for which a threshold of at least 50 Mbps is stated as necessary.
Some streaming platforms combat the use of VPNs by blocking the IP addresses of these services, resulting in the inability to play the video. The solution in this case may be to disconnect and reconnect to the server. Usually this will change the IP address to another one that may not be on the block list. For example, PrivadoVPN directly guarantees unblocking of the US and UK Netflix libraries as part of the subscription.
Features of SurfEasy: AdBlock, Static IP…
- Blocks Ads: YesAd blocking is offered by 43 % of the VPNs reviewed.
- Blocks Malware: NoMalware blocking is offered by 33 % of the VPNs reviewed.
- Blocks Trackers: YesTrackers blocking is offered by 36 % of the VPNs reviewed.
The range of extra features SurfEasy is minimal. The app can only block ads and trackers, for example it can’t handle malware anymore.
Static IP address is not available with SurfEasy even for an additional fee. Similarly, the service lacks a camouflage mode that allows you to disguise VPN protection as a regular connection from, for example, your ISP.
SurfEasy‘s CPU usage and App Performance
The SurfEasy application is simple with minimal features and settings available. It had minimal impact on the running of the Windows test machine.
After connecting to the server, the reserved memory increased to 28 MB, and after minimizing the window, it even dropped to only 1 MB.
On the hard drive, the application takes up approximately 106 MB after installation.
SurfEasy Torrenting Servers
- Torrenting servers: YesTorrenting support is offered by 88 % of the reviewed VPNs.
SurfEasy supports torrenting, but the user cannot choose a specific server. The application detects P2P traffic itself and connects the device to the automatically selected server.
According to available information, there are no servers specifically optimized for P2P traffic, nor does SurfEasy offer a static IP address. User privacy is ensured by DNS leak protection and a kill switch.
Our measured download (307 Mb/s) and upload (266 Mb/s) speeds are more than sufficient for torrenting.
What is the country of origin of SurfEasy?
- VPN Provider: Gen Digital Inc.
- Country of origin: 🇨🇦 Canada
SurfEasy is operated by NortonLifeLock Inc. and is headquartered in Tempe, Arizona.
However, the VPN falls under the jurisdiction of Canada, which is part of the 5 Eyes alliance along with the US, UK, Australia and New Zealand. The secret services of member countries monitor internet traffic and can order VPN operators to hand over all data on specific users if they suspect violations of the law. However, this agreement does not affect the laws of the country.
SurfEasy and Privacy: Logging Policy, Security Issues…
- No-Logs Policy: PartiallyThe No-Logs Policy is followed by 78% of reviewed VPNs.
SurfEasy states on its site that it helps protect users’ privacy when they are online. It also bills itself as a VPN that doesn’t create logs.
The operator further states that the data collected is either not stored or for a maximum period of 36 months. The data collected is more compared to other VPN services. Confidence in SurfEasy is not helped by the rather vague description of the collected data.
However, so far there is not a single known case of users’ personal data being leaked or handed over to the police or the courts. Nevertheless, an independent audit on the security of the application and on the handling of personal data would be even more trustworthy in SurfEasy. Some other services also regularly publish a Transparency Report or Warrant Canary showing that they have been forced to hand over information to government authorities.
Nowhere does SurfEasy specify whether its servers are equipped with RAM memory only or have hard drives that allow data to be stored.
SurfEasy Support: Chat, e-mail…
The options for contacting technical support are limited when only the email@example.com email address is in use. A ticket is automatically created when a query is sent, and we have usually received a response to our test queries within 24 hours.
A FAQ section is also available on the SurfEasy website. There you can find solutions to the most common problems with your user account and with using VPN on different types of devices.
Is SurfEasy a good VPN?The SurfEasy is a simple service with very limited features, which in itself is not a bad thing. In our test, it achieved high transfer speeds and managed to unblock video from US Netflix. The look of the app feels dated and offers nothing beyond the kill switch and ad blocking. Considering the subscription price $2.67 per month, this is a shame.
In the VPN wiki test, SurfEasy earned a 7.4/10. Of the 91 reviewed VPNs, this gives it 31.
Is SurfEasy a free VPN?The SurfEasy is a paid service, the most affordable subscription price on a per-month basis is $2.67. All orders are covered by a money-back guarantee of 14 days.
Is SurfEasy secure?The SurfEasy application has not been audited for security or handling of user data. Compared to other VPNs, it also collects more user data. At the same time, the operator of SurfEasy has never been shown to have handled data unethically or ever handed it over to the police or the courts.
SurfEasy 💵 VPN Price: $2.67/mo 📱 Device limit: 5 🎞️Unblocks Netflix: Yes 🔌 Router Support: No 📄 No-Logs Policy: Partially 🛡 Kill Switch: Yes 🖥️Number of servers: 2,000 🗺️Country of origin: Canada
Top Ten VPNs
Articles about VPNs
- Disney Plus: Subscription Prices in 61 Countries 
- Eurorest voucher review: Is it a scam or a good deal?
- The 3 Best VPNs for Watching F1 from Around the World
- Internet safety: 8 ways to better protect yourself
- EcoEnergy Electricity Saver is a scam, and saves no money
- Facebook Marketplace Scam: Paying insurance via Royal Mail Express
- Android: 8 ways to better protect your privacy
- What a VPN is for: An Easy-to-Understand Guide for Beginners
- Best Free VPNs 2023: 10 Tips for Netflix, Android, and iOS
- 🎮 Best VPN for gaming: 10 tips for PS and Xbox with low ping
- Chrome :
- Android TV: