ProtonVPN Free Review 2023: 2 cons and 2 pros
Proton VPN Free: 2 Disadvantages & 2 Advantages
- Use on only one device at a time
- Often high load on free servers
- No data transfer restrictions
- Good privacy protection
ProtonVPN’s free version is one of the best free VPNs from trusted providers.
The VPN doesn’t have a limited amount of data transferred like competing free services. We were pleasantly surprised by the connection speed, as it outperformed not only the competition of free VPNs but also some paid ones.
Compared to the paid versions of ProtonVPN, the free version lacks the ability to connect multiple devices, support for streaming, torrenting, and the ability to use advanced features.
Proton VPN Free Subscription: Discount Code, Free Trial, Money Back Guarantee…
- Your Price:
Free (1 devices)
- Money Back Guarantee: No
- Free Trial: No
- Cryptocurrency payments: NoBitcoin :No
ProtonVPN Free is completely free, without any restrictions. ProtonVPN also offers a Basic subscription (offering multiple countries and basic VPN features), ProtonVPN Plus (unlocks all advanced features), and Vision (adds secure ProtonMail email to the VPN).
- Your Price:
Proton VPN Free and Supported Devices: Android, iOS, macOS…
- Device limit: 1
- Android:YesAndroid is supported by 100 % of reviewed VPNs
- Android TV:YesAndroid TV is supported by 41 % of reviewed VPNs
- Apple TV:NoApple TV is supported by 23 % of reviewed VPNs
- Fire TV:YesFire TV is supported by 42 % of reviewed VPNs
- Chromebook:YesChromebook is supported by 17 % of reviewed VPNs
- Chromecast:YesChromecast is supported by 22 % of reviewed VPNs
- iOS:YesiOS is supported by 98 % of reviewed VPNs
- Kodi:NoKodi is supported by 27 % of reviewed VPNs
- Linux:YesLinux is supported by 55 % of reviewed VPNs
- Mac:YesMac is supported by 98 % of reviewed VPNs
- NAS:NoNAS is supported by 30 % of reviewed VPNs
- nVidia Shield:YesnVidia Shield is supported by 26 % of reviewed VPNs
- Playstation:NoPlaystation is supported by 28 % of reviewed VPNs
- Raspberry Pi:YesRaspberry Pi is supported by 22 % of reviewed VPNs
- Roku:NoRoku is supported by 24 % of reviewed VPNs
- Router:NoRouter is supported by 52 % of reviewed VPNs
- Windows:YesWindows is supported by 100 % of reviewed VPNs
- xBox:NoxBox is supported by 28 % of reviewed VPNs
- Brave :NoThe Brave browser add-on is offered by 51 % of reviewed VPNs.
- Chrome :NoThe Chrome browser add-on is offered by 51 % of reviewed VPNs.
- Edge :NoThe Edge browser add-on is offered by 21 % of reviewed VPNs.
- Firefox :NoThe Firefox browser add-on is offered by 38 % of reviewed VPNs.
- Opera :NoThe Opera browser add-on is offered by 51 % of reviewed VPNs.
- Safari :NoThe Safari browser add-on is offered by 1 % of reviewed VPNs.
- Vivaldi :NoThe Vivaldi browser add-on is offered by 51 % of reviewed VPNs.
In the free version, you can only use the VPN on one device at a time.
You can download ProtonVPN for Windows, macOS, Linux, Chromebook, Android, iOS, and Android TV. VPNs can also be set up on selected routers, fireTVs, and more.
You won’t find browser extensions with ProtonVPN.
Proton VPN Free App: User-friendliness, whitelist, server selection…
- Traffic limit: Unlimited
- App Languages: 🇺🇸 English +19 more🇩🇪 German 🇪🇸 Spanish 🇫🇷 French 🇵🇹 Portuguese 🇮🇹 Italian 🇷🇺 Russian 🇵🇱 Polish 🇯🇵 Japanese 🇹🇷 Turkish 🇺🇦 Ukrainian 🇳🇱 Dutch 🇭🇺 Hungarian 🇮🇩 Indonesian 🇬🇷 Greek 🇨🇿 Czech 🇷🇴 Romanian 🇧🇾 Belarusian 🇭🇷 Croatian 🇮🇷 Persian
- Whitelisting: YesWhitelisting is supported by 54 % of reviewed VPNs
For ease of use, you can use the whitelist and blacklist functions. Whitelist gives you the option to choose which sites will use the VPN connection. Blacklist, on the other hand, allows you to select apps and websites where the VPN connection will not be used.
The option to automatically connect to the VPN when the device boots up can be used on both mobile and desktop.
The app is clear and easy to use. It offers a one-click connection to the fastest server or the option to select a server manually. The VPN app is translated into 12 languages, English is missing among them.
Proton VPN Free Connection Speed: Upload, Download & Latency
Although ProtonVPN is free, it offers a VPN with no data transfer limit. The speed is slower at the expense of paid users, but we still measured impressive download speeds that are several times faster than 4K video playback. In contrast, the upload speed was slower, so uploading larger files to the cloud, for example, takes longer.
The downside of the free ProtonVPN is the limited range and high load on the free servers, which sometimes causes longer waits to connect to the server. It can also cause slower speeds.
Proton VPN Free Server Locations
- Number of servers: 189The average number of servers for the reviewed VPNs is 1551.
- Number of countries: 3The average number of countries available for the reviewed VPNs is 39.
Europe 🇳🇱 Netherlands North America 🇺🇸 USA South America Asia 🇯🇵 Japan Africa Oceania
The free ProtonVPN offers only 23 servers available in three countries: the Netherlands, the US and Japan.
This country and server offering puts Proton behind some competing free VPNs that offer a larger number of countries and servers. However, unlike ProtonVPN, they have a limit on data transferred, while some competing free VPNs don’t even allow you to choose a country.
Proton VPN Free Security Features: DNS Leak Protection, Kill Switch…
- DNS leak protection : YesDNS leak protection is offered by 96% of the reviewed VPNs.
- Kill Switch: YesKill Switch is supported by 82% of the reviewed VPNs.
- Tor: NoTor support is offered by 12 % of the reviewed VPNs.
ProtonVPN Free offers always-on DNS protection and the option to use a kill switch. Additional VPN security is offered for the paid versions. The free VPN offers only basic features. Some competing free VPNs do not offer a kill switch, so here ProtonVPN is above average.
Proton VPN Free & Streaming: Netflix, Youtube, Amazon Prime…
- Amazon Prime: NoAmazon Prime streaming is supported by 51 % of reviewed VPNs
- Disney+: NoDisney+ streaming is supported by 49 % of reviewed VPNs
- HBO: NoHBO streaming is supported by 51 % of reviewed VPNs
- Hulu: NoHulu streaming is supported by 47 % of reviewed VPNs
- Netflix: NoNetflix streaming is supported by 63 % of reviewed VPNs
- YouTube: YesYouTube streaming is supported by 83 % of reviewed VPNs
Like all free private networks, ProtonVPN Free is not designed for streaming. Although it doesn’t have limited data transfer, unblocking streaming libraries is only offered from the Plus version onwards.
Features of Proton VPN Free: AdBlock, Static IP…
- Blocks Ads: NoAd blocking is offered by 48 % of the VPNs reviewed.
- Blocks Malware: NoMalware blocking is offered by 43 % of the VPNs reviewed.
- Blocks Trackers: NoTrackers blocking is offered by 42 % of the VPNs reviewed.
More advanced features are offered in the paid versions of the VPN.
Zatížení počítače s ProtonVPN Free
ProtonVPN has higher performance requirements than competing VPNs. Yet, it doesn’t put enough strain on your device to be noticeable in normal use.
Proton VPN Free Torrenting Servers
- Torrenting servers: NoTorrenting support is offered by 87 % of the reviewed VPNs.
ProtonVPN in the free version does not support the use of VPNs for torrenting, this feature is offered from the Basic subscription onwards.
What is the country of origin of Proton VPN Free?
- Country of origin: 🇨🇭 Switzerland
ProtonVPN is operated by Proton Technologies AG, a company based in Switzerland. This country is known for its strong laws that protect local businesses and citizens. So you don’t have to worry about your data not being legally protected.
Proton VPN Free and Privacy: Logging Policy, Security Issues…
- No-Logs Policy: YesThe No-Logs Policy is followed by 85% of reviewed VPNs.
- Multi-Hop: NoMulti-Hop connection is offered by 32 % of the VPNs reviewed.
ProtonVPN does not store any records of its users’ searches. ProtonVPN’s applications are open source, so anyone can view them and verify that they don’t contain any backdoors. In addition, ProtonVPN is audited by an independent company.
Another protection is the complete encryption of the disks, although they contain almost no personal data. Encryption helps in protecting the servers from hackers and misuse of any data.
ProtonVPN also has physical protection, their key infrastructure is stored 1,000 meters underground in a former army bunker.
Proton VPN Free Support: Chat, e-mail…
If you need support, you can find the support centre on the ProtonVPN website. The Support Center contains tutorials and troubleshooting procedures. You can also find a form to contact support.
Proton VPN Free
Proton VPN Free 💵 VPN Price: Free 📱 Device limit: 1 🎞️Unblocks Netflix: No 🔌 Router Support: No 📄 No-Logs Policy: Yes 🛡 Kill Switch: Yes 🖥️Number of servers: 189 🗺️Country of origin: Switzerland
Top Ten VPNs
Articles about VPNs
- MacOS: 8 Ways to Protect Your Privacy
- YouTube Premium: Subscription Prices by Country
- How to Protect Your Privacy on the Internet
- How to Set Up a VPN on Android
- EcoEnergy Electricity Saver is a scam, and saves no money
- Free VPN: These Seven Things to Watch Out For
- “EU Business Register” spam: what happens if you do not pay
- Netflix prices in 245 countries (2023 EDITION)
- VPN Guide: What is a VPN Connection and How does it Work?
- Eurorest voucher review: Is it a scam or a good deal?
- Chrome :
- Android TV: