AdGuard VPN 2023 Review: 4 cons and 4 pros
AdGuard VPN: 4 disadvantages and 4 advantages
- Connection to the VPN using only the AdGuard protocol
- Basic app menu only
- Low number of servers
- Still under active development
- Advanced whitelist and blacklist
- Fast connection establishment
- Connection speed
- Custom protocol
AdGuard is a company known for its adblocker and over 10 years of tradition in protecting user privacy.
AdGuard VPN is in beta at the time of review, so the final app may still vary in features offered, server offerings, locations, or performance. Despite still being in beta, AdGuard VPN is comparable to competing VPNs. We appreciated the ability to block ads and trackers, as even some of the leading VPNs don’t have this feature.
The server offering is currently low compared to other VPNs, but will be gradually increased. So will support for unblocking streaming services. Although AdGuard VPN is still in development and can’t yet compare to leading VPNs like Surfshark, it is a service with great potential. We look forward to testing the final version of AdGuard VPN. If you’re using AdGuard AdBlocker, AdGuard VPN is a great choice as other VPNs often have compatibility issues.
Adguard VPN is also good for users who are happy with the momentary features and mainly want a fast connection setup and progress.
AdGuard VPN subscription: discount coupon, trial version, money-back guarantee…
- Your Price:
$5.9960% off $2.40 /mo (5 devices)
- Money Back Guarantee: Yes (30 days)
- Free Trial: No
- Cryptocurrency payments: NoBitcoin :No
AdGuard VPN subscriptions are offered on a monthly or annual basis. You can pay for your subscription using a card or PayPal. The subscription price in dollars or euros is converted to local currency before payment.
Annual subscriptions are covered by an unconditional 30-day money-back guarantee.
AdGuard also offers a free VPN with limited data transfer. The free VPN doesn’t support torrenting and unblocking streaming services. AdGuard Free VPN also serves as a trial version of the VPN.
- Your Price:
Device support with AdGuard VPN: Android, iOS, macOS…
- Device limit: 5
- Android:YesAndroid is supported by 99 % of reviewed VPNs
- Android TV:NoAndroid TV is supported by 37 % of reviewed VPNs
- Apple TV:NoApple TV is supported by 26 % of reviewed VPNs
- Fire TV:NoFire TV is supported by 39 % of reviewed VPNs
- Chromebook:NoChromebook is supported by 16 % of reviewed VPNs
- Chromecast:NoChromecast is supported by 22 % of reviewed VPNs
- iOS:YesiOS is supported by 97 % of reviewed VPNs
- Kodi:NoKodi is supported by 27 % of reviewed VPNs
- Linux:NoLinux is supported by 54 % of reviewed VPNs
- Mac:YesMac is supported by 97 % of reviewed VPNs
- NAS:NoNAS is supported by 32 % of reviewed VPNs
- nVidia Shield:NonVidia Shield is supported by 27 % of reviewed VPNs
- Playstation:NoPlaystation is supported by 31 % of reviewed VPNs
- Raspberry Pi:NoRaspberry Pi is supported by 20 % of reviewed VPNs
- Roku:NoRoku is supported by 26 % of reviewed VPNs
- Router:NoRouter is supported by 53 % of reviewed VPNs
- Windows:YesWindows is supported by 100 % of reviewed VPNs
- xBox:NoxBox is supported by 31 % of reviewed VPNs
- Brave :YesThe Brave browser add-on is offered by 51 % of reviewed VPNs.
- Chrome :YesThe Chrome browser add-on is offered by 51 % of reviewed VPNs.
- Edge :YesThe Edge browser add-on is offered by 16 % of reviewed VPNs.
- Firefox :YesThe Firefox browser add-on is offered by 38 % of reviewed VPNs.
- Opera :YesThe Opera browser add-on is offered by 51 % of reviewed VPNs.
- Safari :NoThe Safari browser add-on is offered by 2 % of reviewed VPNs.
- Vivaldi :YesThe Vivaldi browser add-on is offered by 51 % of reviewed VPNs.
AdGuard VPN offers a program for Windows, Mac, iOS and Android. AdGuard VPN for routers is not currently offered. VPNs can also be used on unsupported devices via browser extensions. Among the supported browsers are Firefox, Edge and Chrome. Extensions can be installed on all browsers that support installation from the Chrome Web Store.
The number of simultaneously connected devices is limited to five.
AdGuard VPN app: user-friendliness, whitelist, server selection…
- Traffic limit: Unlimited
- App Languages: 🇺🇸 English +8 more🇪🇸 Spanish 🇷🇺 Russian 🇫🇷 French 🇮🇹 Italian 🇯🇵 Japanese 🇨🇳 Chinese 🇰🇷 Korean 🇩🇪 German
- Whitelisting: YesWhitelisting is supported by 52 % of reviewed VPNs
AdGuard VPN’s mobile and desktop apps and browser extensions offer the ability to set the sites you want to connect to with or without a VPN. The whitelisting and blacklisting features make it easy to use a VPN without having to disable the connection if you want to connect to the selected site in the normal way. Whitelisting can be used in advanced settings for applications and subnets.
The app also offers the option to automatically start and connect when the device boots up.
Nine languages are offered by the app. Overall, AdGuard VPN apps are very clear, intuitive and easy to use. We also appreciated the unparalleled speed of establishing a connection to the VPN network.
The only thing that didn’t quite suit us from a user perspective was that the selected settings can only be changed in the account settings on the website and not in the apps. These settings include blocking WebRTC and DNS servers. These settings almost never need to be changed after setup for most users, which makes this not such a problem, although we would have liked to see the settings included in the app.
AdGuard VPN connection speed and traffic
The paid version of AdGuard VPN has no data traffic limit. The connection speed is seamless for watching 4K content. In our test, AdGuard VPN is one of the fastest VPNs we’ve tested. The connection speed even to foreign servers is very fast and great for streaming. Slowdowns compared to using a non-VPN are low.
In our testing, we had no problem connecting to the VPN even on slower Wi-Fi, for example on a train where we couldn’t connect using a competing VPN.
AdGuard VPN’s Country and VPN Server Offerings
- Number of servers: 50The average number of servers for the reviewed VPNs is 1436.
- Number of countries: 42The average number of countries available for the reviewed VPNs is 38.
Europe 🇧🇪 Belgium 🇧🇬 Bulgaria 🇨🇿 Czech Republic 🇩🇰 Denmark 🇫🇮 Finland 🇫🇷 France 🇮🇪 Ireland 🇮🇹 Italy 🇱🇺 Luxembourg 🇩🇪 Germany 🇳🇱 Netherlands 🇳🇴 Norway 🇵🇱 Poland 🇦🇹 Austria 🇷🇴 Romania 🇬🇷 Greece 🇬🇧 United Kingdom 🇷🇸 Serbia 🇪🇸 Spain 🇸🇪 Sweden 🇨🇭 Switzerland 🇹🇷 Turkey 🇺🇦 Ukraine North America 🇨🇦 Canada 🇲🇽 Mexico 🇺🇸 USA South America 🇧🇷 Brazil 🇦🇷 Argentina Asia 🇵🇭 Philippines 🇭🇰 Hong Kong 🇮🇳 India 🇮🇱 Israel 🇯🇵 Japan 🇰🇷 South Korea 🇰🇭 Cambodia 🇷🇺 Russia 🇸🇬 Singapore 🇦🇪 United Arab Emirates 🇹🇼 Taiwan 🇻🇳 Vietnam Africa 🇪🇬 Egypt Oceania 🇦🇺 Australia
With AdGuard VPN, you can choose from 50 locations in 42 countries. Also available are countries where censorship is common, such as the United Arab Emirates, Russia, or Taiwan for China.
Compared to competing VPNs, AdGuard lags behind with its country offerings, but since it’s an emerging VPN, that can be forgiven. The current range of countries and locations should still be sufficient for most regular users.
Currently, AdGuard VPN has 50 servers, which is small compared to the competition. A higher number of servers depends on the number of users, and since AdGuard VPN is a new service, this number of servers is easily sufficient for now according to our speed test. In the future, AdGuard servers will of course be increased. At the moment, we can’t compare AdGuard VPN’s infrastructure with other VPN providers.
Security at AdGuard VPN: DNS protection, kill switch…
- DNS leak protection : YesDNS leak protection is offered by 95% of the reviewed VPNs.
- Kill Switch: YesKill Switch is supported by 80% of the reviewed VPNs.
- Tor: NoTor support is offered by 7 % of the reviewed VPNs.
VPN DNS protection is offered by AdGuard DNS servers. There are also DNS servers from other providers to choose from, such as Cloudflare or Cisco. AdGuard VPN offers a kill switch feature to block connections and preserve your real location if the VPN connection gets disconnected unplanned. DNS-level malware blocking is offered by AdGuard’s DNS servers, as well as others. Setting up a malicious site block is possible by logging into your AdGuard VPN account on the website.
Other features (such as multiple connections) are not currently offered by AdGuard VPN, but the VPN is still in beta, so it is under active development and receives frequent performance and feature updates.
AdGuard VPN has its own protocol and uses TLS v1.3 encryption, which can use AES 128-bit and 256-bit. The protocol is expected to be open source in the future, so it can be authenticated by anyone.
Compared to the protocols used by competitors, the AdGuard VPN protocol is indistinguishable from regular Internet communications. In addition, it does not suffer from slowdowns while masquerading VPN communication as normal and the need to enable a special hidden mode.
VPN streaming on AdGuard VPN: Netflix, Youtube, Amazon…
- Amazon Prime: YesAmazon Prime streaming is supported by 46 % of reviewed VPNs
- Disney+: YesDisney+ streaming is supported by 45 % of reviewed VPNs
- HBO: YesHBO streaming is supported by 48 % of reviewed VPNs
- Hulu: YesHulu streaming is supported by 44 % of reviewed VPNs
- Netflix: YesNetflix streaming is supported by 61 % of reviewed VPNs
- YouTube: YesYouTube streaming is supported by 81 % of reviewed VPNs
The feature to unblock streaming services is available on AdGuard VPN. The entire VPN is in beta and you can expect improvements to this new feature as well. Currently, Netflix, Disney+, Amazon Prime, HBO Max, Hulu, and BBC iPlayer can be unblocked for a few select countries.
AdGuard’s speed is perfectly suited for streaming.
AdGuard VPN features: adblock, static IP address…
- Blocks Ads: YesAd blocking is offered by 48 % of the VPNs reviewed.
- Blocks Malware: YesMalware blocking is offered by 45 % of the VPNs reviewed.
- Blocks Trackers: YesTrackers blocking is offered by 41 % of the VPNs reviewed.
Tracker and ad blocking is offered through special DNS servers. Protection can be set up in your AdGuard VPN account on the website. Other features are not offered at the time of review.
Computer load with AdGuard VPN
The AdGuard app causes an average computer load that is the same when connected to the VPN and when the app is running only in the background. The application does not cause a noticeable load on the device.
VPN torrent and AdGuard VPN
- Torrenting servers: YesTorrenting support is offered by 86 % of the reviewed VPNs.
AdGuard VPN is suitable for use in torrenting. P2P traffic is automatically detected and redirected to dedicated servers for P2P traffic. Using a VPN for torrenting protects you from the possibility of your IP address being traced by institutions and the threat of copyright infringement penalties.
AdGuard VPN Headquarters
- Country of origin: 🇨🇾 Cyprus
AdGuard VPN is backed by AdGuard Software Limited, a company based in Cyprus. Cyprus is a member of the European Union and is not one of the so-called 14 Eyes Countries, which are known for tracking their citizens and passing information across the group.
Privacy and AdGuard VPN: Log storage, security…
- No-Logs Policy: YesThe No-Logs Policy is followed by 86% of reviewed VPNs.
- Multi-Hop: NoMulti-Hop connection is offered by 31 % of the VPNs reviewed.
The data that AdGuard VPN stores is limited to email and password to log into your account and diagnostic data about the length of time you’ve used the VPN, the amount of data you’ve transmitted, and your VPN usage. This data is necessary for running user accounts and monitoring the free VPN limit restrictions. AdGuard VPN does not store user data transmitted over the VPN connection. All data is anonymized.
When you purchase the paid version of the VPN, the payment method and your VPN account data are also processed. On the AdGuard website, cookies are used to personalize the site (for example, language settings).
AdGuard states that no data is sold or shared with third parties.
AdGuard VPN support: chat, email…
AdGuard offers round-the-clock support for its VPN. Support is offered through a support center that offers a database of common issues and solutions. However, it is not very extensive, especially since the VPN is in beta.
You can also take advantage of detailed tutorials for the VPN service, app installation, feature descriptions, issues, and more. You can also discuss problems on the forum, directly contact support via email or an international phone number.
AdGuard VPN 💵 VPN Price: $2.40/mo 📱 Device limit: 5 🎞️Unblocks Netflix: Yes 🔌 Router Support: No 📄 No-Logs Policy: Yes 🛡 Kill Switch: Yes 🖥️Number of servers: 50 🗺️Country of origin: Cyprus
Top Ten VPNs
Articles about VPNs
- How to Choose a VPN: A Simple Guide for Beginners
- Review: Brave Free Internet Browser Protects Your Privacy
- VPN Guide: What is a VPN Connection and How does it Work?
- YouTube Premium: Subscription Prices by Country
- Best Free VPNs 2023: 10 Tips for Netflix, Android, and iOS
- Windows 10: Eight Ways You Can Protect Your Privacy
- 🎮 Best VPN for gaming: 10 tips for PS and Xbox with low ping
- How to Install a VPN in Your Browser
- Facebook Marketplace Scam: Paying insurance via Royal Mail Express
- Android: 8 ways to better protect your privacy
- Chrome :
- Android TV: