NordVPN Review 2023: 3 cons and 5 pros
NordVPN: 3 Disadvantages & 5 Advantages
- Applications in four languages only
- Average number of simultaneously connectable devices
- Advanced features in the desktop app more difficult to use
- High speed
- Additional features
- Independent audit
- Large number of servers
- Unblocking streaming services
NordVPN is one of the leading VPN providers and one of the best services in our comparison.
The NordVPN app offers a wealth of added features and advanced uses, such as blocking ads and dangerous sites. It also excels in connection speed and easy unblocking of streaming services compared to its competitors. VPN apps are available on all the most used platforms and for use on a router.
You can use NordVPN on up to six devices simultaneously, which is average among the competition. NordVPN is one of the best all-around VPN providers we’ve tested.
NordVPN Subscription: Discount Code, Free Trial, Money Back Guarantee…
- Your Price:
$9.8572% off $2.71 /mo (6 devices)
- Money Back Guarantee: Yes (30 days)
- Free Trial: No
- Cryptocurrency payments: YesBitcoin :Yes
NordVPN doesn’t offer a trial, but guarantees a refund within 30 days of purchasing a subscription.
Subscriptions come in standard monthly, annual, and two-year subscriptions. Other subscriptions may also be offered as part of promotions. Subscriptions for the longest period of time are always the best value.
In addition to promotional offers, NordVPN offers a 15% discount for students.
You can pay with credit and debit cards, Google Pay, AmazonPay, and for maximum privacy, cryptocurrencies.
- Your Price:
NordVPN and Supported Devices: Android, iOS, macOS…
- Device limit: 6
- Android:YesAndroid is supported by 99 % of reviewed VPNs
- Android TV:YesAndroid TV is supported by 37 % of reviewed VPNs
- Apple TV:YesApple TV is supported by 26 % of reviewed VPNs
- Fire TV:YesFire TV is supported by 39 % of reviewed VPNs
- Chromebook:NoChromebook is supported by 16 % of reviewed VPNs
- Chromecast:YesChromecast is supported by 22 % of reviewed VPNs
- iOS:YesiOS is supported by 97 % of reviewed VPNs
- Kodi:YesKodi is supported by 27 % of reviewed VPNs
- Linux:YesLinux is supported by 54 % of reviewed VPNs
- Mac:YesMac is supported by 97 % of reviewed VPNs
- NAS:YesNAS is supported by 32 % of reviewed VPNs
- nVidia Shield:YesnVidia Shield is supported by 27 % of reviewed VPNs
- Playstation:YesPlaystation is supported by 31 % of reviewed VPNs
- Raspberry Pi:YesRaspberry Pi is supported by 20 % of reviewed VPNs
- Roku:YesRoku is supported by 26 % of reviewed VPNs
- Router:YesRouter is supported by 53 % of reviewed VPNs
- Windows:YesWindows is supported by 100 % of reviewed VPNs
- xBox:YesxBox is supported by 31 % of reviewed VPNs
- Brave :YesThe Brave browser add-on is offered by 51 % of reviewed VPNs.
- Chrome :YesThe Chrome browser add-on is offered by 51 % of reviewed VPNs.
- Edge :NoThe Edge browser add-on is offered by 16 % of reviewed VPNs.
- Firefox :YesThe Firefox browser add-on is offered by 38 % of reviewed VPNs.
- Opera :YesThe Opera browser add-on is offered by 51 % of reviewed VPNs.
- Safari :NoThe Safari browser add-on is offered by 2 % of reviewed VPNs.
- Vivaldi :YesThe Vivaldi browser add-on is offered by 51 % of reviewed VPNs.
With a NordVPN subscription, you can connect up to 6 devices at the same time. Compared to other VPN providers, this is average. Some providers don’t limit the number of actively connected devices at all. If you need to protect multiple devices, you can use a VPN on your router to cover your entire household with one active connection.
You can find NordVPN apps for all major operating systems and for Android TV, Linux routers and NAS.
You can also use NordVPN with Chrome and Firefox browser add-ons.
NordVPN App: User-friendliness, whitelist, server selection…
- Traffic limit: Unlimited
- App Languages: 🇺🇸 English +3 more🇪🇸 Spanish 🇩🇪 German 🇫🇷 French
- Whitelisting: YesWhitelisting is supported by 52 % of reviewed VPNs
NordVPN’s weakness is that it is only available in four languages: English, German, Spanish and French.
The basic controls are intuitive and easy to use, but using the more advanced features is more difficult on a computer. The settings are extensive, offering the option of whitelisting and blacklisting individual apps. There’s the option to turn on VPNs automatically on all, only selected, or only on unsecured networks. Adding trusted networks is also an option, and NordVPN has no weakness in this regard.
You can automatically connect to the VPN network as soon as you start your device, both on the desktop and mobile app.
The only hitch was the use of Onion connection over VPN, multiple connections and dedicated IP. These special features are only available when using the OpenVPN protocol. You have to change the settings first, then only when the features become available.
Compared to other VPN apps, we were extremely satisfied with NordVPN’s app as it met all our requirements.
NordVPN is a VPN with no data transfer limit, which is standard for all paid services.
NordVPN Connection Speed: Upload, Download & Latency
Connection speeds to VPN servers were slightly longer when using OpenVPN. The NordLynx protocol can be used instead, which was faster to connect. However, NordLynx does not support some specialised features (such as dedicated IP addresses), so it is advisable to leave the protocol selection set to automatic, at least for normal use. We recommend switching it only if you want to use one of the special features.
The data transfer speed was very good. With NordVPN, you can watch videos in higher quality without any problems. Even when watching videos via the US server, we did not experience any annoying slowdowns.
NordVPN Server Locations
- Number of servers: 5,400The average number of servers for the reviewed VPNs is 1436.
- Number of countries: 59The average number of countries available for the reviewed VPNs is 38.
Europe 🇦🇱 Albania 🇧🇪 Belgium 🇧🇦 Bosnia and Herzegovina 🇧🇬 Bulgaria 🇨🇿 Czech Republic 🇩🇰 Denmark 🇪🇪 Estonia 🇫🇮 Finland 🇫🇷 France 🇭🇷 Croatia 🇮🇪 Ireland 🇮🇸 Iceland 🇮🇹 Italy 🇨🇾 Cyprus 🇱🇻 Latvia 🇱🇺 Luxembourg 🇭🇺 Hungary 🇲🇩 Moldova 🇩🇪 Germany 🇳🇱 Netherlands 🇳🇴 Norway 🇵🇱 Poland 🇵🇹 Portugal 🇦🇹 Austria 🇷🇴 Romania 🇬🇷 Greece 🇲🇰 Northern Macedonia 🇸🇰 Slovakia 🇸🇮 Slovenia 🇬🇧 United Kingdom 🇷🇸 Serbia 🇪🇸 Spain 🇸🇪 Sweden 🇨🇭 Switzerland 🇹🇷 Turkey 🇺🇦 Ukraine North America 🇨🇦 Canada 🇨🇷 Costa Rica 🇲🇽 Mexico 🇺🇸 USA South America 🇦🇷 Argentina 🇧🇷 Brazil 🇨🇱 Chile Asia 🇬🇪 Georgia 🇭🇰 Hong Kong 🇮🇳 India 🇮🇩 Indonesia 🇮🇱 Israel 🇯🇵 Japan 🇰🇷 South Korea 🇲🇾 Malaysia 🇸🇬 Singapore 🇦🇪 United Arab Emirates 🇹🇭 Thailand 🇹🇼 Taiwan 🇻🇳 Vietnam Africa 🇿🇦 South Africa Oceania 🇦🇺 Australia 🇳🇿 New Zealand
NordVPN offers 5,400 servers, which is one of the broadest offerings of any VPN provider. You’ll find servers spread across a good 59 countries, although some providers offer significantly more. For the average user, the range of countries will be perfectly adequate.
NordVPN offers hundreds of servers in the US, Canada, the UK, Australia and New Zealand.
A special “Obfuscated Server” feature has the ability to bypass firewalls that block VPN connections. This allows you to use VPNs in countries that restrict VPN use and censor the internet. The data transmitted through these servers is treated as normal data, so you can also use VPNs in countries where VPNs are not legal.
NordVPN Security Features: DNS Leak Protection, Kill Switch…
- DNS leak protection : YesDNS leak protection is offered by 95% of the reviewed VPNs.
- Kill Switch: YesKill Switch is supported by 80% of the reviewed VPNs.
- Tor: YesTor support is offered by 7 % of the reviewed VPNs.
NordVPN’s VPN security is one of the best we’ve tested. In addition to DNS protection, WebRCT, and a kill switch, it’s one of the few providers to offer multiple server connections, Onion over VPN, and dangerous site blocking.
For account security, NordVPN supports two-factor authentication.
NordVPN & Streaming: Netflix, Youtube, Amazon Prime…
- Amazon Prime: YesAmazon Prime streaming is supported by 46 % of reviewed VPNs
- Disney+: YesDisney+ streaming is supported by 45 % of reviewed VPNs
- HBO: YesHBO streaming is supported by 48 % of reviewed VPNs
- Hulu: YesHulu streaming is supported by 44 % of reviewed VPNs
- Netflix: YesNetflix streaming is supported by 61 % of reviewed VPNs
- YouTube: YesYouTube streaming is supported by 81 % of reviewed VPNs
Unblocking streaming content is easy with NordVPN. With NordVPN, you can watch your favorite streaming services like YouTube, Netflix, Amazon Prime, HBO, Hulu, Disney+ and more without content restrictions.
In our testing, it was easy to unblock services by connecting to a VPN server in the country where the content is available.
Streaming services try to block the use of VPNs, but NordVPN is committed to continuing to support the VPN feature. For up-to-date information on servers that can be used to unblock streaming services, visit NordVPN’s website.
Features of NordVPN: AdBlock, Static IP…
- Blocks Ads: YesAd blocking is offered by 48 % of the VPNs reviewed.
- Blocks Malware: YesMalware blocking is offered by 46 % of the VPNs reviewed.
- Blocks Trackers: NoTrackers blocking is offered by 41 % of the VPNs reviewed.
NordVPN offers a CyberSec feature that blocks fraudulent and dangerous sites and ads. It does not offer a tracker blocking feature. For use in countries where VPNs aren’t legal, it uses “Obfuscated” servers that hide information about the VPN connection. This makes them suitable for circumventing VPN bans and firewalls.
NordVPN also offers the option to purchase a dedicated VPN IP address that will be yours alone, similar to a normal connection. However, at the same time, your privacy will be protected by the VPN connection.
Other features offered by NordVPN are not directly in the NordVPN app, but you can download them as separate apps. These are NordLocker (cloud storage) and NordPass (password manager). Both apps have a free version, or can be purchased with the VPN in a bargain package.
NordVPN‘s CPU usage and App Performance
Using NordVPN shouldn’t affect your speed or device usage in any way. The app uses more power than some of its competitors, but overall it’s average.
NordVPN uses the power of your computer even when the app is running in the background without an active VPN connection. If you’re not using the app, you can turn it off via the icon on the taskbar.
NordVPN Torrenting Servers
- Torrenting servers: YesTorrenting support is offered by 86 % of the reviewed VPNs.
NordVPN offers P2P servers for use in downloading torrents. There’s something for everyone from a wide range of P2P servers in many countries. By using a VPN to download torrents, you can protect your privacy and get rid of possible blocking by your provider.
What is the country of origin of NordVPN?
- Country of origin: 🇵🇦 Panama
NordVPN is based in Panama, which is known for its friendly jurisdiction. Plus, NordVPN doesn’t log any of your data. As such, it doesn’t hold any data that it can hand over to the authorities.
NordVPN and Privacy: Logging Policy, Security Issues…
- No-Logs Policy: YesThe No-Logs Policy is followed by 86% of reviewed VPNs.
- Multi-Hop: YesMulti-Hop connection is offered by 31 % of the VPNs reviewed.
NordVPN does not store any data (called logs) about your connections. NordVPN’s privacy security is certified by an independent auditor.
The only data stored by NordVPN are account, payment and contact details and the number of devices connected at the same time (due to the limit of six devices at the same time).
The NordVPN website collects analytical information for its own purposes only, it does not share any data with third parties.
NordVPN Support: Chat, e-mail…
Support on NordVPN is offered around the clock. You can communicate with support via chat with a chatbot, but also live support or via email. The provider’s website also provides a clear list of common questions, problems and solutions.
Support is offered in English, German and French as standard.
NordVPN 💵 VPN Price: $2.71/mo 📱 Device limit: 6 🎞️Unblocks Netflix: Yes 🔌 Router Support: Yes 📄 No-Logs Policy: Yes 🛡 Kill Switch: Yes 🖥️Number of servers: 5,400 🗺️Country of origin: Panama
Top Ten VPNs
Articles about VPNs
- How to use a VPN: Anonymity, Netflix, and Foreign Streams
- Dangerous supplements: 12 products, spam, and fake doctors
- The 3 Best VPNs for Watching F1 from Around the World
- 🎮 Best VPN for gaming: 10 tips for PS and Xbox with low ping
- iOS: 9 ways to protect your privacy
- MacOS: 8 Ways to Protect Your Privacy
- Eurorest voucher review: Is it a scam or a good deal?
- Review: Brave Free Internet Browser Protects Your Privacy
- VPN Guide: What is a VPN Connection and How does it Work?
- What a VPN is for: An Easy-to-Understand Guide for Beginners
- Chrome :
- Android TV: