Bitdefender VPN Free Review 2023: 5 Cons and 3 Pros
Bitdefender VPN Free: 200 MB Daily Data Limit and No Location Selection
- Daily data limit is just 200 MB
- Connection is restricted to the nearest location; server choice is not available
- Unable to unblock streaming services
- Supports only basic platforms
- Relies on another company’s server infrastructure
- Application available in multiple languages
- Provides advanced features
- The application is user-friendly
Bitdefender VPN Free is a no-cost product from the Romanian cybersecurity giant, Bitdefender, who also provides paid Bitdefender VPN Premium, antivirus software, a password manager, identity theft protection, and other tools.
The key drawback of Bitdefender VPN Free is the daily data limit of 200 MB. After this limit is reached, the VPN ceases to function. Users are also unable to choose their connection location, with the application automatically choosing the closest available one. Consequently, this service cannot be used for unblocking US Netflix or for torrenting.
The Bitdefender VPN Free app supports most commonly used operating systems, features a simple interface, and offers some advanced features uncommon to free VPNs, such as split tunneling and ad and tracker blocking.
Among other free VPNs, Bitdefender VPN Free falls into the mid-range. A viable alternative is Planet VPN Free, which provides unlimited data transfers and allows usage without a user account, thereby preserving anonymity.
For robust protection and anonymity while using the internet, we recommend opting for a paid VPN like Bitdefender VPN Premium or NordVPN, which offer unlimited data transfers, location choices, and a wealth of security features.
Bitdefender VPN Free Subscription: Discount Code, Free Trial, Money Back Guarantee…
- Your Price:
Free (10 devices)
Bitdefender VPN Free is a costless version of the paid service, Bitdefender VPN Premium, which requires no payment information and allows unlimited usage time.
However, compared to the paid version, Bitdefender VPN Free presents several limitations, the most notable being restricted data transfers and no server location selection.
Bitdefender VPN Premium overcomes these limitations, providing access to any of the 1,300 servers in 51 countries worldwide, unlimited data transfers, and full access to all available security features. The most affordable subscription costs $4.17 per month for a maximum of 10 devices.
Bitdefender VPN Premium offers a 7 days of trial period and a 30 days of money-back guarantee from the date of subscription purchase.
- Your Price:
Bitdefender VPN Free and Supported Devices: Android, iOS, macOS…
- Device limit: 10
- Android: YesAndroid is supported by 98 % of reviewed VPNs
- Android TV:NoAndroid TV is supported by 37 % of reviewed VPNs
- Apple TV:NoApple TV is supported by 18 % of reviewed VPNs
- Fire TV:NoFire TV is supported by 44 % of reviewed VPNs
- Chromebook:NoChromebook is supported by 21 % of reviewed VPNs
- Chromecast:NoChromecast is supported by 16 % of reviewed VPNs
- iOS:YesiOS is supported by 99 % of reviewed VPNs
- Kodi:NoKodi is supported by 22 % of reviewed VPNs
- Linux:NoLinux is supported by 60 % of reviewed VPNs
- Mac:YesMac is supported by 98 % of reviewed VPNs
- NAS:NoNAS is supported by 25 % of reviewed VPNs
- nVidia Shield:NonVidia Shield is supported by 15 % of reviewed VPNs
- Playstation:NoPlaystation is supported by 20 % of reviewed VPNs
- Raspberry Pi:NoRaspberry Pi is supported by 18 % of reviewed VPNs
- Roku:NoRoku is supported by 16 % of reviewed VPNs
- Router:NoRouter is supported by 54 % of reviewed VPNs
- Windows:YesWindows is supported by 100 % of reviewed VPNs
- xBox:NoxBox is supported by 20 % of reviewed VPNs
- Brave : NoThe Brave browser add-on is offered by 45 % of reviewed VPNs.
- Chrome :NoThe Chrome browser add-on is offered by 45 % of reviewed VPNs.
- Edge :NoThe Edge browser add-on is offered by 19 % of reviewed VPNs.
- Firefox :NoThe Firefox browser add-on is offered by 35 % of reviewed VPNs.
- Opera :NoThe Opera browser add-on is offered by 45 % of reviewed VPNs.
- Safari :NoThe Safari browser add-on is offered by 0 % of reviewed VPNs.
- Vivaldi :NoThe Vivaldi browser add-on is offered by 45 % of reviewed VPNs.
Bitdefender VPN Free only supports Windows and macOS computers, as well as Android and iOS mobile devices. The service cannot be used on Linux, smart TVs, game consoles, routers, or other device types. Even among free private networks, Bitdefender VPN Free‘s device support is quite limited.
A single user account on Bitdefender VPN Free can be used on up to 10 devices simultaneously, with the 200 MB daily data transfer limit calculated separately for each device. You can manage the list of connected devices on the service’s website and disconnect devices at the same location.
Bitdefender VPN Free App: User-friendliness, whitelist, server selection…
- App Languages: 🇺🇸 English +18 more🇫🇷 French 🇮🇹 Italian 🇩🇪 German 🇳🇱 Dutch 🇵🇱 Polish 🇵🇹 Portuguese 🇷🇺 Russian 🇪🇸 Spanish 🇸🇪 Swedish 🇹🇷 Turkish 🇭🇺 Hungarian 🇬🇷 Greek 🇯🇵 Japanese 🇰🇷 Korean 🇹🇭 Thai 🇨🇿 Czech 🇷🇴 Romanian 🇻🇳 Vietnamese
- Whitelisting: YesWhitelisting is supported by 52 % of reviewed VPNs
The Bitdefender VPN Free app is straightforward and easy to use, although the advertisements promoting the paid version may be somewhat intrusive. The interface is available in 19 languages, including English, and you can switch between light and dark themes.
Features like split tunneling, kill switch, and automatic VPN start-up upon connection to an insecure Wi-Fi network or during computer boot-up can be enabled through the app’s settings. Bitdefender VPN Free also offers ad and tracker blocking, and you can optionally define a list of sites where ads will be displayed.
While the server locations are displayed in the application, the restrictions of the free version render the selection of a specific location impossible. Instead, the application will always automatically connect you to the nearest server. If you attempt to select one of the locations, you’ll receive an offer to purchase Bitdefender VPN Premium. However, you can still choose your preferred protocol in the settings and opt out of sending anonymous performance reports.
The “Support” button merely redirects you to a website where you can find solutions or contact technical support. Direct communication from the app is not available.
Bitdefender VPN Free Connection Speed: Upload, Download & Latency
- Traffic limit: 6 GB per month
With a daily limit of only 200 MB of free data, Bitdefender VPN Free pales in comparison to other free services. This low limit precludes using the VPN for watching videos, torrenting, or transferring large data files.
Establishing a VPN connection is as simple as clicking a button, and the process is quick and hassle-free.
In repeated tests, Bitdefender VPN Free averaged a download speed of 115 Mb/s, sufficient for transferring large files and streaming 4K video. Its upload speed also exceeded the average, registering at 118 Mb/s.
The last parameter monitored is server response time, indicative of the delay caused by the VPN connection. This is particularly important for online gamers. We measured an average response time of 46 ms for Bitdefender VPN Free, slightly above the highest recommended value of 40 ms for gaming.
A lower response time, unlike data rate, is more desirable. For instance, NordVPN recorded an average response time of 11 ms in our tests, providing a point of comparison.
Bitdefender VPN Free Server Locations
- Number of servers: 4,000The average number of servers for the reviewed VPNs is 1661.
- Number of countries: 51The average number of countries available for the reviewed VPNs is 40.
Europe 🇧🇪 Belgium 🇧🇬 Bulgaria 🇨🇿 Czech Republic 🇩🇰 Denmark 🇪🇪 Estonia 🇫🇷 France 🇮🇪 Ireland 🇮🇸 Iceland 🇮🇹 Italy 🇱🇹 Lithuania 🇱🇺 Luxembourg 🇭🇺 Hungary 🇩🇪 Germany 🇳🇱 Netherlands 🇳🇴 Norway 🇵🇱 Poland 🇦🇹 Austria 🇷🇴 Romania 🇬🇷 Greece 🇸🇮 Slovenia 🇬🇧 United Kingdom 🇪🇸 Spain 🇸🇪 Sweden 🇨🇭 Switzerland 🇹🇷 Turkey 🇺🇦 Ukraine North America 🇨🇦 Canada 🇲🇽 Mexico 🇺🇸 USA South America 🇦🇷 Argentina 🇧🇷 Brazil 🇨🇱 Chile Asia 🇵🇭 Philippines 🇭🇰 Hong Kong 🇮🇳 India 🇮🇩 Indonesia 🇮🇱 Israel 🇯🇵 Japan 🇰🇷 South Korea 🇰🇭 Cambodia 🇵🇰 Pakistan 🇷🇺 Russia 🇸🇬 Singapore 🇦🇪 United Arab Emirates 🇹🇭 Thailand 🇹🇼 Taiwan 🇻🇳 Vietnam Africa 🇪🇬 Egypt 🇿🇦 South Africa Oceania 🇦🇺 Australia 🇳🇿 New Zealand
Bitdefender VPN Free does not operate its own servers; instead, it leases infrastructure from Aura Sub, LLC, operator of the competing service, HotspotShield Premium.
Bitdefender VPN Free users have access to 4,000 servers in 51 countries worldwide. However, a significant limitation is that the application always connects to the nearest server.
Specific server or country selection is not possible. Clicking on a location prompts an offer to purchase Bitdefender VPN Premium.
Nevertheless, the coverage of 51 countries is commendable, with servers distributed across all continents. Countries with servers include the US, Canada, the UK, Australia, New Zealand, South Africa, Egypt, Argentina, Chile, and others uncommonly served by VPNs.
The Bitdefender VPN Free server list does not display current load or speed, a feature found in some services but of limited importance here.
Bitdefender VPN Free lacks dedicated servers for torrenting or streaming. All traffic types are supported on all servers, rendering it irrelevant which server the app connects you to.
Bitdefender VPN Free Security Features: DNS Leak Protection, Kill Switch…
- DNS leak protection : YesDNS leak protection is offered by 93% of the reviewed VPNs.
- Kill Switch: YesKill Switch is supported by 85% of the reviewed VPNs.
- Multi-Hop: NoMulti-Hop connection is offered by 20 % of the VPNs reviewed.
- Tor: NoTor support is offered by 18 % of the reviewed VPNs.
Bitdefender VPN Free provides DNS protection. Throughout our testing, the application effectively concealed our IP address, and there were no leaks.
Every Bitdefender VPN Free application offers a kill switch that disconnects the device from the Internet if the VPN server connection fails. This prevents the user’s IP address or location from being exposed and their data from being compromised.
The service can be configured to automatically connect to the VPN when the computer starts or when connecting to an unsecured Wi-Fi network. You can create a list of blacklisted applications within the app, which will automatically connect when Bitdefender VPN Free is in use.
Bitdefender VPN Free supports the reliable IPSec protocol and the Hydra Catapult protocol developed by HotspotShield Premium. Built on OpenVPN, Hydra Catapult enables VPN usage masking, though it can only be manually selected in the mobile app. The transmitted data is secured with 256-bit AES encryption.
However, Bitdefender VPN Free does not support the use of the Tor network.
A Bitdefender VPN Free web account can be safeguarded with two-factor authentication, requiring a code sent via email or generated within the app in addition to the standard password.
While Bitdefender VPN Free does not directly support monitoring for data leaks to the dark web, the company offers separate tools for this purpose that can be included in a VPN package.
Bitdefender VPN Free & Streaming: Netflix, YouTube, Amazon Prime…
- Amazon Prime: NoAmazon Prime streaming is supported by 51 % of reviewed VPNs
- Disney+: NoDisney+ streaming is supported by 54 % of reviewed VPNs
- HBO: NoHBO streaming is supported by 57 % of reviewed VPNs
- Hulu: NoHulu streaming is supported by 48 % of reviewed VPNs
- Netflix: NoNetflix streaming is supported by 65 % of reviewed VPNs
- YouTube: YesYouTube streaming is supported by 95 % of reviewed VPNs
Bitdefender VPN Free is not suitable for streaming video. The service does not allow users to choose their connection location, and the daily data transfer limit of 200 MB is insufficient for streaming films and series.
Despite being able to play videos from Netflix, Disney Plus, Amazon Prime Video, and HBO Max, we were unsurprisingly unable to unblock foreign content. Bitdefender VPN Premium, the service’s paid version, can eliminate geo-restrictions. Streaming video can be played on all available servers.
To unlock foreign content from Netflix, Disney Plus, and other platforms, we recommend using paid VPNs with high bitrates, unlimited data, and servers specifically designed for streaming. Consider subscribing to NordVPN or CyberGhost VPN.
Features of Bitdefender VPN Free: AdBlock, Static IP…
- Blocks Ads: YesAd blocking is offered by 43 % of the VPNs reviewed.
- Blocks Malware: NoMalware blocking is offered by 33 % of the VPNs reviewed.
- Blocks Trackers: YesTrackers blocking is offered by 36 % of the VPNs reviewed.
Compared to other free VPNs, Bitdefender VPN Free offers a variety of advanced privacy features.
The app can block ads and trackers that monitor users’ online activity. Within the settings, you can generate a list of sites to be exempted, and ads will display on these sites. However, Bitdefender VPN Free lacks traditional malware protection.
You can automatically connect to the VPN on unsecured Wi-Fi, where there is a risk of data being discovered and stolen. The kill switch further enhances security by disconnecting the device from the internet if the VPN server connection is lost.
Split tunneling allows you to select websites that will connect directly even when VPN protection is enabled. On desktops, you can also designate applications that will only connect to the Internet with the VPN enabled. There is an option to automatically start the VPN when the device boots or when a torrenting app is launched.
Bitdefender VPN Free does not provide dedicated or static IP addresses, even at an additional cost.
Bitdefender is a major player in global internet security. Besides VPNs, it offers additional applications to enhance internet security. These can be purchased individually or in cost-effective packages:
- Identity ProtectionIdentity Protection provides protection against data leaks, identity theft, and credit card theft.
- Password Manager is designed to manage and safeguard passwords in one place.
- Security Package offers robust device protection against internet threats.
Bitdefender VPN Free‘s CPU usage and App Performance
VPN apps are typically designed to secure your privacy while allowing unrestricted use of the internet and your device.
The load on our test laptop was minimal with Bitdefender VPN Free. The application only utilized 30 MB of RAM and consumed 0.1% of the computer’s battery and processing power. We hardly noticed any load from an active connection. The load increased slightly when the application launched but quickly stabilized at the aforementioned levels.
If you want to optimize your device’s performance, you can completely shut down the app, thus achieving zero load.
Bitdefender VPN Free requires more disk space than most competing VPNs. A desktop installation requires 150 MB, but this is a fraction of the memory capacity on modern computers.
Bitdefender VPN Free Torrenting Servers
- Torrenting servers: YesTorrenting support is offered by 88 % of the reviewed VPNs.
Due to the 200 MB per device per day data transfer limit, Bitdefender VPN Free is not suitable for torrenting.
However, torrenting is possible on all servers, even though Bitdefender VPN Free does not have dedicated servers for P2P sharing. Regular clients like uTorrent or BitTorrent can be used, and the download (115 Mb/s) and upload (118 Mb/s) speeds are adequate for torrenting.
Bitdefender VPN Free also offers an auto-connect feature when running a P2P file-sharing application.
Using a VPN will protect your IP address and location, so your ISP can’t detect torrent transmissions. However, Bitdefender VPN Free should not be used for illegal activities such as sharing copyrighted material.
What is the country of origin of Bitdefender VPN Free?
- VPN Provider: S.C. BitDefender S.R.L.
- Country of origin: 🇷🇴 Romania
Bitdefender VPN Free is operated by S.C. BITDEFENDER S.R.L., which is based in Bucharest, Romania. Notably, this country is not part of any international alliances that routinely engage in surveillance and data collection of its citizens. Being a member of the European Union, Romania adheres to the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR).
Despite being a leading name in the antivirus and internet security markets, the company does not publish a Transparency Report for Bitdefender VPN Free, nor has it undergone audits by independent entities.
Bitdefender VPN Free and Privacy: Logging Policy, Security Issues…
- No-Logs Policy: PartiallyThe No-Logs Policy is followed by 78% of reviewed VPNs.
The Bitdefender VPN Free website doesn’t explicitly declare a “no logs” policy. The only available information indicates it doesn’t store data about users’ internet behaviors. However, for account management, data such as name, email address, and payment method are collected. Additionally, the terms and conditions mention random processing of IP addresses.
Bitdefender VPN Free can also track the location of the device it is being used on to activate the VPN when connected to an insecure wi-fi network or to send an alert. However, this collected data is not stored. Apps send anonymized reports to improve user experience and functionality, though this feature can be disabled in the settings.
In case of a legal request to release user data, the company is obligated to comply. Likewise, Bitdefender may share collected user data with its business partners.
Despite Bitdefender being a multinational cybersecurity specialist, Bitdefender VPN Free has not been independently audited by a third party. Moreover, the company does not publish Warrant Canary reports, which some VPN providers use to inform users of received data release requests.
Bitdefender VPN Free Support: Chat, e-mail…
The quickest way to reach technical support is through live chat on the Bitdefender VPN Free website. It’s available 24/7, and our test query received a response within minutes. A more complex query about account security was forwarded to the technical department, and a response was later received via email.
Users can also utilize a contact form to submit an email, which is subsequently used for communication. Our test message sent via this form was responded to within 24 hours.
Bitdefender VPN Free is among the few services offering phone support. Users can call either a local number or a globally available one. The support is available round-the-clock, albeit only in English.
The Bitdefender VPN Free website features a helpful FAQ section with tips, advice, and common problem solutions. Users can also join an expert community where advice on the company’s products is shared. However, as Bitdefender offers a range of products besides VPNs and the database is quite extensive, navigation can be somewhat challenging.
Bitdefender VPN Free FAQ
Is Bitdefender VPN Free secure?
Bitdefender VPN Free can safeguard your privacy. In our tests, the desktop application successfully concealed our IP address, and there were no DNS leaks. The VPN includes advanced privacy features, such as a kill switch that disables internet access if the connection isn’t protected, as well as ad and tracker blocking capabilities.
The app doesn’t log users’ online activity, and when used in conjunction with other Bitdefender products, ensures data protection and privacy. The downside is the 200 MB data transfer limit per day on one device and the inability to choose the server’s location.
Is Bitdefender VPN Free suitable for streaming?Although Bitdefender VPN Free provides sufficient bitrate for 4K video viewing, it is not ideal for streaming.
Since the VPN automatically connects to the nearest server, users cannot select specific servers, such as those in the US to access localized content. Moreover, Bitdefender VPN Free restricts daily data transfer to 200 MB, which only allows for a few minutes of video streaming.
For streaming purposes, we recommend paid services like Surfshark, known for high speeds, unlimited data transfer, and reliable unlocking of popular streaming platforms.
Is Bitdefender VPN Free free?Yes, Bitdefender VPN Free is indefinitely free.
This service serves as a trial version for the paid variant. Usage of Bitdefender VPN Free is limited by a daily data transfer limit of 200 MB and an inability to choose server location. Despite these limitations, most advanced features are accessible with this service. For instance, users can benefit from split tunneling, kill switch functionality, and automatic connections on unsecured wi-fi networks.
The most cost-effective subscription for Bitdefender VPN Premium, which includes a discount for VPN wiki visitors, is $4.17 per month.
Bitdefender VPN Free
Bitdefender VPN Free 💵 VPN Price: Free 📱 Device limit: 10 🎞️Unblocks Netflix: No 🔌 Router Support: No 📄 No-Logs Policy: Partially 🛡 Kill Switch: Yes 🖥️Number of servers: 4,000 🗺️Country of origin: Romania
Top Ten VPNs
Articles about VPNs
- Password Generator: Up to 64 Chars, Secure and Ad-Free
- EcoEnergy Electricity Saver is a scam, and saves no money
- Internet safety: 8 ways to better protect yourself
- Best VPN for Android 2023: 10 (un)paid options
- Tesla Energy Saver is a Scam. We Know What’s Inside the Device!
- Top 10: Best and Fastest VPNs
- Why We Recommend Using a VPN Every Day
- Facebook Marketplace Scam: Paying insurance via Royal Mail Express
- How to Unblock a Website with a VPN
- What Is Whitelisting for VPNs and What Is It Good For?
- Chrome :
- Android TV: