AdGuard VPN Free 2023 Review: 2 drawbacks and 5 advantages
AdGuard VPN Free: 2 disadvantages and 5 advantages
- Connect to the VPN using only the AdGuard protocol
- Basic app menu only
- Advanced whitelist and blacklist
- Lots of locations
- Fast connection setup
- Custom protocol
- Ad and tracker blocking
AdGuard is a company known for its adblocker and with over 10 years of experience in protecting user privacy.
AdGuard VPN is in beta at the time of review, so the final app may still vary in features offered, server and location offerings, as well as performance. For a VPN in beta, AdGuard VPN Free is quite comparable to competing free VPNs. 3GB of data per month for data transfer is average.
The user-friendliness and advanced features make AdGuard one of the best free VPNs. Transfer speeds are limited to 20 Mbps, which is well below average.
AdGuard VPN Free is a VPN that’s definitely worth considering and we can only recommend it if you’re happy with 3GB for data transfer. If you’re using AdGuard AdBlocker, AdGuard VPN is a great choice as other VPNs often have compatibility issues.
AdGuard VPN Free subscription: discount coupon, trial version, money back guarantee…
- Your Price:
NAN% off Free (2 devices)
- Money Back Guarantee: No
- Free Trial: No
- Cryptocurrency payments: NoBitcoin :No
AdGuard VPN Free is completely free. It also serves as a trial version of AdGuard VPN.
- Your Price:
Device support at AdGuard VPN Free: Android, iOS, macOS…
- Device limit: 2
- Android:YesAndroid is supported by 99 % of reviewed VPNs
- Android TV:NoAndroid TV is supported by 37 % of reviewed VPNs
- Apple TV:NoApple TV is supported by 26 % of reviewed VPNs
- Fire TV:NoFire TV is supported by 39 % of reviewed VPNs
- Chromebook:NoChromebook is supported by 16 % of reviewed VPNs
- Chromecast:NoChromecast is supported by 22 % of reviewed VPNs
- iOS:YesiOS is supported by 97 % of reviewed VPNs
- Kodi:NoKodi is supported by 27 % of reviewed VPNs
- Linux:NoLinux is supported by 54 % of reviewed VPNs
- Mac:YesMac is supported by 97 % of reviewed VPNs
- NAS:NoNAS is supported by 32 % of reviewed VPNs
- nVidia Shield:NonVidia Shield is supported by 27 % of reviewed VPNs
- Playstation:NoPlaystation is supported by 31 % of reviewed VPNs
- Raspberry Pi:NoRaspberry Pi is supported by 20 % of reviewed VPNs
- Roku:NoRoku is supported by 26 % of reviewed VPNs
- Router:NoRouter is supported by 53 % of reviewed VPNs
- Windows:YesWindows is supported by 100 % of reviewed VPNs
- xBox:NoxBox is supported by 31 % of reviewed VPNs
- Brave :YesThe Brave browser add-on is offered by 51 % of reviewed VPNs.
- Chrome :YesThe Chrome browser add-on is offered by 51 % of reviewed VPNs.
- Edge :YesThe Edge browser add-on is offered by 16 % of reviewed VPNs.
- Firefox :YesThe Firefox browser add-on is offered by 38 % of reviewed VPNs.
- Opera :YesThe Opera browser add-on is offered by 51 % of reviewed VPNs.
- Safari :NoThe Safari browser add-on is offered by 2 % of reviewed VPNs.
- Vivaldi :YesThe Vivaldi browser add-on is offered by 51 % of reviewed VPNs.
AdGuard VPN Free offers a VPN program for Windows, Mac, iOS and Android. AdGuard VPN for VPN router is not currently offered. VPNs can also be used on unsupported devices as well as on supported devices via browser extensions. Among the supported browsers are Firefox, Edge and Chrome. Extensions can also be installed on all browsers that support installation from the chrome web store.
The number of simultaneously connected devices is set to two in the free version.
AdGuard VPN Free app: User-friendliness, whitelist, server selection…
- Traffic limit: 3 GB per month
- App Languages: 🇺🇸 English +8 more🇪🇸 Spanish 🇷🇺 Russian 🇫🇷 French 🇮🇹 Italian 🇯🇵 Japanese 🇨🇳 Chinese 🇰🇷 Korean 🇩🇪 German
- Whitelisting: YesWhitelisting is supported by 52 % of reviewed VPNs
AdGuard VPN’s mobile and desktop apps and browser extensions offer the ability to set the sites you want to connect to with or without a VPN. The whitelisting and blacklisting features make it easy to use a VPN without having to disable the connection if you want to connect to the selected site in the normal way. Whitelisting can also be used for apps and subnets in advanced settings.
The app also offers the option to automatically start and connect when the device boots up.
Nine languages are offered by the app, including English, Spanish, Russian, German and more.
Overall, the AdGuard VPN app is very clear, intuitive and easy to use.
We also appreciated the unparalleled speed of establishing a connection to the VPN network.
The only thing that didn’t quite suit us from a user perspective was that the selected settings can only be changed in the account settings on the website and not in the app. These settings include blocking WebRTC and DNS servers. These settings almost never need to be changed after setup for most users, making it not such a problem. Still, we would appreciate it if these settings were part of the application.
Connection speed and traffic with AdGuard VPN Free
In the free version of AdGuard VPN Free, data traffic is limited to 3GB per month. This is a below-average limit compared to other free VPNs, but it’s still sufficient for occasional use.
The transfer speed is limited to a maximum of 20 Mbps. During our speed testing, this limit was temporarily disabled. A speed of 20 Mbps is theoretically fast enough to play up to 4K content.
In our testing, we had no problem connecting to the VPN even on slower Wi-Fi, such as on a train where we couldn’t connect using a competing VPN.
AdGuard VPN Free’s Country and VPN Server Offerings
- Number of servers: 50The average number of servers for the reviewed VPNs is 1436.
- Number of countries: 11The average number of countries available for the reviewed VPNs is 38.
Europe 🇫🇮 Finland 🇫🇷 France 🇮🇹 Italy 🇱🇺 Luxembourg 🇩🇪 Germany 🇳🇱 Netherlands 🇵🇱 Poland 🇬🇧 United Kingdom 🇹🇷 Turkey 🇺🇦 Ukraine North America 🇺🇸 USA South America Asia Africa Oceania
With AdGuard Free VPN, you can choose from 13 locations in 11 countries. In addition to Western countries, Turkey and Ukraine are also available. AdGuard Free VPN offers a very good selection of countries among free VPNs. In fact, some free VPNs don’t even offer a choice of server, and if they do, it’s often very limited.
Currently, AdGuard VPN has 50 servers, with more to be added over time. The number of 50 servers is small compared to the competition, but the number of servers required depends on the number of users. Since AdGuard VPN is a new service, this number of servers is sufficient for now. In the future, AdGuard servers will of course be increased.
Security at AdGuard VPN Free: DNS protection, kill switch…
- DNS leak protection : YesDNS leak protection is offered by 95% of the reviewed VPNs.
- Kill Switch: YesKill Switch is supported by 80% of the reviewed VPNs.
- Tor: NoTor support is offered by 7 % of the reviewed VPNs.
VPN DNS protection is offered by AdGuard DNS servers. You can also choose DNS servers from other providers such as Cloudflare or Cisco. AdGuard VPN offers a kill switch feature to block connections and preserve your real location if the VPN connection gets disconnected unplanned. DNS-level malware blocking is offered by AdGuard’s DNS servers, as well as others. Setting up a malicious site block is possible by logging into your AdGuard VPN account on the website.
Other features like multiple connections are not currently offered by AdGuard VPN, but the VPN is still in beta. It is thus under active development and receives frequent performance and feature updates.
AdGuard VPN has its own protocol and uses TLS v1.3 encryption, which can use AES 128-bit and 256-bit. The protocol is expected to be open source in the future, so it can be authenticated by anyone.
Compared to the freely available protocols used by competitors, the AdGuard VPN protocol is indistinguishable from regular Internet communications. Thus, it does not suffer from the frequent slowdowns of masking VPN communication as normal and having to turn on hidden mode.
VPN streaming on AdGuard VPN Free: Netflix, Youtube, Amazon…
- Amazon Prime: NoAmazon Prime streaming is supported by 46 % of reviewed VPNs
- Disney+: NoDisney+ streaming is supported by 45 % of reviewed VPNs
- HBO: NoHBO streaming is supported by 48 % of reviewed VPNs
- Hulu: NoHulu streaming is supported by 44 % of reviewed VPNs
- Netflix: NoNetflix streaming is supported by 61 % of reviewed VPNs
- YouTube: YesYouTube streaming is supported by 81 % of reviewed VPNs
The streaming unblocking feature is only available on AdGuard VPN for the paid version.
Competing free VPNs that offer streaming platform unblocking are still often not suitable for use with streaming services. Mainly due to the limited amount of data transferred with streaming, which gets used up quickly or the slow speed.
Feature AdGuard VPN Free: Adblock, static IP address…
- Blocks Ads: YesAd blocking is offered by 48 % of the VPNs reviewed.
- Blocks Malware: YesMalware blocking is offered by 45 % of the VPNs reviewed.
- Blocks Trackers: YesTrackers blocking is offered by 41 % of the VPNs reviewed.
Tracker and ad blocking is offered through special DNS servers. Protection can be set up in your AdGuard VPN account on the website. Other features are not offered at the time of review.
Computer load with AdGuard VPN Free
The AdGuard app causes an average computer load that is the same when connected to the VPN as well as when the app is running only in the background. The application does not cause a noticeable load on the device.
VPN Torrent and AdGuard VPN Free
- Torrenting servers: YesTorrenting support is offered by 86 % of the reviewed VPNs.
It is not possible to use P2P connections in AdGuard VPN Free, as this feature is only available to paid subscribers.
AdGuard VPN Free Headquarters
- Country of origin: 🇨🇾 Cyprus
The headquarters of the parent company AdGuard Software Limited is located in Cyprus. Cyprus is a member of the European Union and is not one of the so-called 14 Eyes Countries, which are known for monitoring their citizens and passing information across the group.
Privacy and AdGuard VPN Free: Log storage, security…
- No-Logs Policy: YesThe No-Logs Policy is followed by 86% of reviewed VPNs.
- Multi-Hop: NoMulti-Hop connection is offered by 31 % of the VPNs reviewed.
The data that AdGuard VPN stores is limited to email and password to log into your account and diagnostic data about the length of time you’ve used the VPN, the amount of data you’ve transmitted, and your VPN usage. This data is necessary for running user accounts and monitoring the free VPN limit restrictions. AdGuard VPN does not store user data transmitted over the VPN connection. All data is anonymized.
On the AdGuard website, cookies are used to personalize the site, such as language settings. AdGuard states that no data is sold or shared with third parties.
Support at AdGuard VPN Free: Chat, email…
AdGuard offers round-the-clock support for its VPN. Support is offered through a support center that offers a database of common issues and solutions, but it’s not very extensive, especially since the VPN is in beta.
You can also take advantage of detailed tutorials for the VPN service, app installation, feature descriptions, issues, and more. You can also discuss issues on the forum, contact support directly via email, or on the international phone number.
AdGuard VPN Free
AdGuard VPN Free 💵 VPN Price: Free 📱 Device limit: 2 🎞️Unblocks Netflix: No 🔌 Router Support: No 📄 No-Logs Policy: Yes 🛡 Kill Switch: Yes 🖥️Number of servers: 50 🗺️Country of origin: Cyprus
Top Ten VPNs
Articles about VPNs
- How to Set Up a VPN on Your Router
- Windows 10: Eight Ways You Can Protect Your Privacy
- What a VPN is for: An Easy-to-Understand Guide for Beginners
- Tesla Energy Saver is a Scam. We Know What’s Inside the Device!
- How to Install and Use a VPN on a PC
- How to Set Up a VPN on Android
- Facebook Marketplace Scam: Paying insurance via Royal Mail Express
- YouTube Premium: Subscription Prices by Country
- Dangerous supplements: 12 products, spam, and fake doctors
- Get YouTube Premium for 80¢ a Month. Here’s how to do it
- Chrome :
- Android TV: