Windscribe VPN Free Review 2023: 3 cons and 4 pros
Windscribe Free: 3 Disadvantages & 4 Advantages
- Functions on the computer are divided between application, browser extension and web
- Slower connection on some servers
- For most questions you need to contact support
- High speed of the nearest server
- Use on unlimited devices
- Generous data transfer limit of 10 GB per month
- Low device load
Windscribe is a Canadian company that offers free VPN Windscribe Free.
The free VPN is limited to 10GB of traffic per month with several other options to increase the limit. Compared to competing free VPNs, Windscribe Free offers the ability to connect through servers in 11 countries.
The number of devices is not limited either. The speed of the VPN connection is also very good. The minor shortcomings of Windscribe VPN Free are made up for by the large number of added features. For example, the smaller support database on the website and the poor search in it are amply compensated by the live support that can be contacted by chat on the website.
Windscribe VPN Free is the best free VPN we’ve tested and is definitely worth a try.
Windscribe Free Subscription: Discount Code, Free Trial, Money Back Guarantee…
- Your Price:
NAN% off Free (999 devices)
- Money Back Guarantee: No
- Free Trial: No
- Cryptocurrency payments: NoBitcoin :No
Windscribe Free is the free version of VPN. The company also offers a paid version, Windscribe VPN Pro, which adds unlimited data transfer, the ability to use all servers, manual VPN configuration without the app, and advanced spam blocking.
This free VPN is offered instead of the trial version.
- Your Price:
Windscribe Free and Supported Devices: Android, iOS, macOS…
- Device limit: Unlimited
- Android:YesAndroid is supported by 99 % of reviewed VPNs
- Android TV:NoAndroid TV is supported by 37 % of reviewed VPNs
- Apple TV:NoApple TV is supported by 26 % of reviewed VPNs
- Fire TV:YesFire TV is supported by 39 % of reviewed VPNs
- Chromebook:NoChromebook is supported by 16 % of reviewed VPNs
- Chromecast:NoChromecast is supported by 22 % of reviewed VPNs
- iOS:YesiOS is supported by 97 % of reviewed VPNs
- Kodi:YesKodi is supported by 27 % of reviewed VPNs
- Linux:YesLinux is supported by 54 % of reviewed VPNs
- Mac:YesMac is supported by 97 % of reviewed VPNs
- NAS:YesNAS is supported by 32 % of reviewed VPNs
- nVidia Shield:YesnVidia Shield is supported by 27 % of reviewed VPNs
- Playstation:NoPlaystation is supported by 31 % of reviewed VPNs
- Raspberry Pi:NoRaspberry Pi is supported by 20 % of reviewed VPNs
- Roku:NoRoku is supported by 26 % of reviewed VPNs
- Router:YesRouter is supported by 53 % of reviewed VPNs
- Windows:YesWindows is supported by 100 % of reviewed VPNs
- xBox:NoxBox is supported by 31 % of reviewed VPNs
- Brave :YesThe Brave browser add-on is offered by 51 % of reviewed VPNs.
- Chrome :YesThe Chrome browser add-on is offered by 51 % of reviewed VPNs.
- Edge :YesThe Edge browser add-on is offered by 16 % of reviewed VPNs.
- Firefox :YesThe Firefox browser add-on is offered by 38 % of reviewed VPNs.
- Opera :YesThe Opera browser add-on is offered by 51 % of reviewed VPNs.
- Safari :NoThe Safari browser add-on is offered by 2 % of reviewed VPNs.
- Vivaldi :YesThe Vivaldi browser add-on is offered by 51 % of reviewed VPNs.
Windscribe supports unlimited devices even in the free version.
Windscribe VPN software is available on all common mobile and desktop operating systems. FireTV, Nvidia Shield, Kodi, routers and most of the most widely used browsers are also supported. The VPN router can also be purchased with Windscribe VPN already pre-loaded. Using a VPN router to protect your home network is only advisable if you have a paid subscription with no data transfer restrictions.
Windscribe Free App: User-friendliness, whitelist, server selection…
- Traffic limit: 10 GB per month
- App Languages: 🇺🇸 English +24 more🇫🇷 French 🇮🇹 Italian 🇩🇪 German 🇳🇱 Dutch 🇵🇱 Polish 🇵🇹 Portuguese 🇷🇺 Russian 🇪🇸 Spanish 🇦🇪 Arabic 🇨🇳 Chinese 🇩🇰 Danish 🇯🇵 Japanese 🇰🇷 Korean 🇸🇪 Swedish 🇹🇭 Thai 🇹🇷 Turkish 🇨🇿 Czech 🇮🇳 Hindi 🇭🇷 Croatian 🇮🇩 Indonesian 🇭🇺 Hungarian 🇬🇷 Greek 🇸🇰 Slovak 🇻🇳 Vietnamese
- Whitelisting: YesWhitelisting is supported by 52 % of reviewed VPNs
The whitelist and blacklist features are only available on Android devices. You can use the whitelist feature for websites in a browser extension on a desktop device.
Windscribe also offers the option to set the VPN to automatically start and connect to the VPN when the device boots up. On Android devices, you can set up automatic connections for individual Wi-Fi networks. VPN also offers the option to connect to the best site.
The apps are clear overall, especially the Windscribe mobile app is very intuitive. What’s user unfriendly is the split of features and their settings between the app, the web and the browser extension.
The language offer in the desktop app is more extensive than in the mobile version, overall the desktop app offers a large number of languages including Spanish, Italian or French.
Windscribe Free Connection Speed: Upload, Download & Latency
Like most free VPNs, Windscribe Free offers a limited amount of data transfer. With Windscribe Free, you’re limited to 10GB of data per month, and that’s only if you have an account. Without an account, the monthly data transfer limit is 2 GB. You can easily increase this by 5 GB by tweeting about Windscribe and writing a review on Google Maps. You’ll also get an extra GB for each friend you invite.
The connection speed is the best among free VPNs. Windscribe Free’s data transfer speed is among the best even when compared to paid VPNs. 4K playback was seamless in our test with Windscribe, as the measured speed far exceeded the speed required for 4K streaming.
Windscribe Free Server Locations
- Number of servers: 25The average number of servers for the reviewed VPNs is 1436.
- Number of countries: 11The average number of countries available for the reviewed VPNs is 38.
Europe 🇫🇷 France 🇩🇪 Germany 🇳🇱 Netherlands 🇳🇴 Norway 🇷🇴 Romania 🇬🇧 United Kingdom 🇨🇭 Switzerland 🇹🇷 Turkey North America 🇨🇦 Canada 🇺🇸 USA South America Asia 🇭🇰 Hong Kong Africa Oceania
11 countries and 25 servers are offered in the free version, other countries and servers are offered in the Pro version.
Among the countries offered you will find the USA, France, Switzerland, England, Hong Kong or Turkey, which come in handy when circumventing the censorship there.
Windscribe Free Security Features: DNS Leak Protection, Kill Switch…
- DNS leak protection : YesDNS leak protection is offered by 95% of the reviewed VPNs.
- Kill Switch: YesKill Switch is supported by 80% of the reviewed VPNs.
- Tor: NoTor support is offered by 7 % of the reviewed VPNs.
The main protocol offered by Windscribe is IKEv2. The VPN also offers UDP, TCP, Stealth and WStunnel connectivity options that use the OpenVPN protocol. The latter two are suitable for unblocking state censorships in countries such as China. The WireGuard protocol is also offered on Android devices.
The security of the VPN connection is taken care of by a kill switch, named Firewall in Windscribe. This shuts down all internet connections if you are not connected to the VPN.
VPN protection for extra sensitive connections offers the option of multiple connections. This feature is only offered on the desktop, via connections in the app and in the browser to different servers.
Another feature for a secure VPN is malicious site blocking. Protection against sites containing malware can be set in the account after logging in in the browser or also in a browser extension.
Windscribe uses the AES-256 cipher to encrypt the connection.
Windscribe Free & Streaming: Netflix, Youtube, Amazon Prime…
- Amazon Prime: YesAmazon Prime streaming is supported by 46 % of reviewed VPNs
- Disney+: YesDisney+ streaming is supported by 45 % of reviewed VPNs
- HBO: YesHBO streaming is supported by 48 % of reviewed VPNs
- Hulu: YesHulu streaming is supported by 44 % of reviewed VPNs
- Netflix: YesNetflix streaming is supported by 61 % of reviewed VPNs
- YouTube: YesYouTube streaming is supported by 81 % of reviewed VPNs
Windscribe Free can be used for streaming, which no other free VPN supports. However, you’re still limited to a 10GB monthly limit. Also, dedicated servers for streaming (called Windflix servers) are not available.
In a speed test, we were able to get the maximum speed for playing Full HD content on the available servers in the US. Even in the free version, Windscribe is able to unblock Netflix, Amazon Prime, Disney+, Hulu, HBO and YouTube streaming services.
However, paid VPNs are more suitable for streaming for greater connection stability as well as unlimited data transfer.
Features of Windscribe Free: AdBlock, Static IP…
- Blocks Ads: YesAd blocking is offered by 48 % of the VPNs reviewed.
- Blocks Malware: YesMalware blocking is offered by 45 % of the VPNs reviewed.
- Blocks Trackers: YesTrackers blocking is offered by 41 % of the VPNs reviewed.
Even in the free version, Windscribe offers ad blocking and tracker blocking features. To use it on mobile devices, you must enable ad blocking and tracker blocking in your account settings via the website, and you can also use a browser extension on your computer.
In addition, the browser extension offers social media tracking blocking and blocking buttons and widgets, blocking pop-up subscription requests and tracking notification cookies.
In addition, it allows you to delete cookies after closing the browser and automatically change the user’s agenda, which serves to gain more anonymity. In fact, the extension externally alters your operating system parameters, screen resolution and other data to avoid as much as possible so-called fingerprinting, which is leaving traces based on the device you’re using.
Windscribe Free‘s CPU usage and App Performance
Windscribe has one of the lowest loads of any VPN we tested. Compared to the VPNs with the highest device performance requirements, it is up to ten times smaller.
Windscribe Free Torrenting Servers
- Torrenting servers: YesTorrenting support is offered by 86 % of the reviewed VPNs.
All available free servers offer P2P support, so you can be protected while torrenting with a free Windscribe subscription. However, remember that you are limited to 10 GB per month. If you exceed this limit, you will no longer be protected by the VPN. That’s why we recommend using the firewall feature when torrenting, which will terminate your internet connection if the VPN is lost.
What is the country of origin of Windscribe Free?
- Country of origin: 🇨🇦 Canada
Windscribe is based in Canada, which is part of the 14 Eyes Country group of countries that are known for monitoring the internet by intelligence agencies and sharing the information with other countries.
Windscribe’s website notes that Canadian courts have repeatedly requested information about the connections. However, Windscribe has never provided any data because it does not store any sensitive data and non-sensitive data is anonymized.
Windscribe Free and Privacy: Logging Policy, Security Issues…
- No-Logs Policy: YesThe No-Logs Policy is followed by 86% of reviewed VPNs.
- Multi-Hop: YesMulti-Hop connection is offered by 31 % of the VPNs reviewed.
During the connection, the username, connection time, and amount of data transferred is stored for the duration of the session.
Windscribe Free Support: Chat, e-mail…
For help with troubleshooting and tutorials, visit Windscribe. The size of the support database on the site is not large and the search is not the best.
Support is also offered via chatbot or live chat. Live support can also be contacted by filling out a form on the Windscribe site. Thus, contact support replaces the lack of database on the VPN site.
Windscribe Free 💵 VPN Price: Free 📱 Device limit: Unlimited 🎞️Unblocks Netflix: Yes 🔌 Router Support: Yes 📄 No-Logs Policy: Yes 🛡 Kill Switch: Yes 🖥️Number of servers: 25 🗺️Country of origin: Canada
Top Ten VPNs
Articles about VPNs
- 📺 10× Best VPN for Netflix: They unblock US stream in 4K
- How to install a VPN on an iPhone
- Netflix prices in 245 countries (2023 EDITION)
- How to Watch Foreign Netflix via VPN
- Dangerous supplements: 12 products, spam, and fake doctors
- Internet safety: 8 ways to better protect yourself
- How to Set Up a VPN on Your Router
- Top 10: Best and Fastest VPNs
- How to Install a VPN in Your Browser
- How to use a VPN: Anonymity, Netflix, and Foreign Streams
- Chrome :
- Android TV: