Atlas VPN Free Review 2023 Review: 3 cons and 3 pros
Atlas VPN Free: Free Fast VPN for Unlimited Devices
- Offers few features
- Does not support streaming platforms or torrents
- Very low number of servers (3)
- Unlimited number of simultaneously connected devices
- Free for unlimited time
- Good download speed (168 MB/s) and upload speed (137 MB/s)
Atlas VPN Free is a relatively young VPN service whose operator is based in the USA. A paid version is also available Atlas VPN Pro, which offers a number of extra features compared to the free version.
The advantages of Atlas VPN Free include unlimited simultaneous connections and very good connection speeds compared to other free VPNs. The Atlas VPN Free is unlimited in time, so it can be used for any length of time.
The downside of Atlas VPN Free is the relatively low number of features, and it lacks support for streaming and torrenting. Users are also limited by the data transfer limit 5 GB per month and only 3 servers available. However, the low number of servers did not have a negative impact on VPN usage.
Overall, we consider Atlas VPN Free to be a good trial version but not very suitable for long-term use. For these purposes, we recommend subscribing to Atlas VPN Pro, which offers more features, supports streaming video, torrents, and has no data consumption limits.
Atlas VPN Free Subscription: Discount Code, Free Trial, Money Back Guarantee…
- Your Price:
Free (999 devices)
- Money Back Guarantee: No
- Free Trial: No
- Cryptocurrency payments: NoBitcoin :No
Atlas VPN Free is completely free for an unlimited period of time. It mainly serves as a trial version for paid Atlas VPN Pro.
The paid subscription Atlas VPN Pro offers a number of extra features compared to the free version. The price is $1.46 per month. You can choose from three subscription lengths.
To use the free version Atlas VPN Free, just download the app, which is shared with the paid version. Instructions for downloading and installing the app are available on the website. In order to use Atlas VPN Free, you need to enter an email address. No password is required. In the next step, just skip the subscription option; the application will then activate the non-paid version by itself. Upgrading to the paid service can then be done directly from the application.
Users Atlas VPN Free can recommend this VPN to up to 10 of their friends via a link in the app. For each person invited to use the service, they will receive a free subscription Atlas VPN Pro for 7 days.
- Your Price:
Atlas VPN Free and Supported Devices: Android, iOS, macOS…
- Device limit: Unlimited
- Android:YesAndroid is supported by 100 % of reviewed VPNs
- Android TV:YesAndroid TV is supported by 41 % of reviewed VPNs
- Apple TV:NoApple TV is supported by 23 % of reviewed VPNs
- Fire TV:YesFire TV is supported by 42 % of reviewed VPNs
- Chromebook:NoChromebook is supported by 18 % of reviewed VPNs
- Chromecast:NoChromecast is supported by 22 % of reviewed VPNs
- iOS:YesiOS is supported by 98 % of reviewed VPNs
- Kodi:NoKodi is supported by 27 % of reviewed VPNs
- Linux:NoLinux is supported by 54 % of reviewed VPNs
- Mac:YesMac is supported by 98 % of reviewed VPNs
- NAS:NoNAS is supported by 30 % of reviewed VPNs
- nVidia Shield:NonVidia Shield is supported by 26 % of reviewed VPNs
- Playstation:NoPlaystation is supported by 28 % of reviewed VPNs
- Raspberry Pi:NoRaspberry Pi is supported by 22 % of reviewed VPNs
- Roku:NoRoku is supported by 24 % of reviewed VPNs
- Router:NoRouter is supported by 52 % of reviewed VPNs
- Windows:YesWindows is supported by 100 % of reviewed VPNs
- xBox:NoxBox is supported by 28 % of reviewed VPNs
- Brave :YesThe Brave browser add-on is offered by 53 % of reviewed VPNs.
- Chrome :YesThe Chrome browser add-on is offered by 53 % of reviewed VPNs.
- Edge :NoThe Edge browser add-on is offered by 21 % of reviewed VPNs.
- Firefox :NoThe Firefox browser add-on is offered by 38 % of reviewed VPNs.
- Opera :YesThe Opera browser add-on is offered by 53 % of reviewed VPNs.
- Safari :NoThe Safari browser add-on is offered by 1 % of reviewed VPNs.
- Vivaldi :YesThe Vivaldi browser add-on is offered by 53 % of reviewed VPNs.
Under a single user account, Atlas VPN Free can be used on an unlimited number of devices simultaneously, while competing free VPNs tend to limit this number.
The breadth of supported devices is not bad with Atlas VPN Free. The app supports Windows, macOS, Android, iOS, Linux, and Amazon Fire Stick platforms. VPNs can also be used on Android TV and Fire TV smart TVs.
Unfortunately, Atlas VPN Free doesn’t offer browser extensions and doesn’t support router connectivity.
The range of supported devices is identical for both the free and paid service versions. Although Atlas VPN Free does not support some platforms, its applications can still be used on most devices. Device support is good overall with this VPN.
Atlas VPN Free App: User-friendliness, whitelist, server selection…
- Traffic limit: 5 GB per month
- App Languages: 🇺🇸 English +9 more🇩🇪 German 🇪🇸 Spanish 🇫🇷 French 🇵🇹 Portuguese 🇨🇳 Chinese 🇷🇺 Russian 🇰🇷 Korean 🇵🇱 Polish 🇯🇵 Japanese
- Whitelisting: NoWhitelisting is supported by 54 % of reviewed VPNs
Downloading the app was quick and easy, the process is no different from the paid version Atlas VPN Pro. Instructions for downloading and operating the app are available on the Atlas VPN website. There are short explanations for all the features of the app to help the user navigate the app.
The app Atlas VPN Free is available in English only. The navigation is intuitive and should not be difficult for inexperienced users. You can set the light or dark mode or choose the system variant.
The app’s environment in the free version is identical to the paid version, only missing some features such as ad blocking, Auto-Connect, or Quick Connect. The Atlas VPN Free also offers fewer available servers than the paid variant.
The Atlas VPN Free does not offer automatic server selection, the user always has to manually choose one of the offered servers. The server menu consists only of 2 countries, so this is not a major problem. Among the missing Atlas VPN Free features is a whitelist that can be used to exclude apps and websites from VPN use.
The free version, on the other hand, gives a choice of protocol. Either the automatic settings can be left on, where the app itself chooses the most secure and fastest one, or the user chooses the protocol. The app also provides a link to the support center, to write a review, and to the Atlas VPN social networking site.
Other features the app Atlas VPN Free does not have. For more demanding users, we recommend choosing the Atlas VPN Pro subscription, which offers a lot of extra features and is among the cheaper VPNs.
Atlas VPN Free Connection Speed: Upload, Download & Latency
Atlas VPN Free, like most free VPN services, limits users to the amount of data transferred. With one account, the maximum 5 GB per month can be used. If you require unlimited data and don’t want to pay for a VPN, we recommend using, for example, Proton VPN Free.
Connection speeds with Atlas VPN Free were very good. In testing, we measured average download 168 MB/s and average upload 137 MB/s. Both values are sufficient for streaming 4K video, which typically requires a connection speed of at least 50 MB/s.
We observed quite significant differences in connection speeds between servers, the main influence being the distance from the measurement location. We measured the highest speed at the closest server.
On average, the measured response speed 31 ms is sufficient for gaming but loses out to the paid top among VPNs. For example, we measured NordVPN‘s average response time 11 ms.
Atlas VPN Free Server Locations
- Number of servers: 3The average number of servers for the reviewed VPNs is 1549.
- Number of countries: 2The average number of countries available for the reviewed VPNs is 39.
Europe 🇳🇱 Netherlands North America 🇺🇸 USA South America Asia Africa Oceania
Users of Atlas VPN Free have a choice of 3 servers in 2 countries around the world. Compared to other non-paid VPNs, this is below average.
While servers located in the US are optimized for video playback, the free version Atlas VPN Free does not unblock streaming services.
Although the number of Atlas VPN Free servers is relatively low, their connection speed and stability are good. The free version uses the same servers as the paid version Atlas VPN Pro, which is known for its excellent speed. Despite all this, we would have appreciated a wider choice of sites with Atlas VPN Free.
Atlas VPN Free Security Features: DNS Leak Protection, Kill Switch…
- DNS leak protection : YesDNS leak protection is offered by 96% of the reviewed VPNs.
- Kill Switch: YesKill Switch is supported by 82% of the reviewed VPNs.
- Tor: YesTor support is offered by 12 % of the reviewed VPNs.
Security at Atlas VPN Free provides military-grade AES-256-bit encryption and a wide selection of protocols: IPSec/IKEv2, ChaCha20, and WireGuard. The available protocols are considered secure and are used by most VPN providers. In addition to these, there are also services with their own protocols, such as AdGuard VPN Free.
The protocol used can either be selected manually in the settings or left to the application. The Atlas VPN Free will always select the fastest and most secure protocol.
The Atlas VPN Free offers a kill switch feature that disconnects the device from the Internet if the VPN connection is lost. This prevents the loss of data or the discovery of the user’s real location.
DNS protection is provided by Atlas VPN Free with its own address library. Possible data leaks can be checked for free with the Data Breach Monitor feature, which tests the email inbox. Detected leaks are clearly listed.
Multi-hop connection and blocking of dangerous sites Atlas VPN Free is not offered. These features are only available in the paid version Atlas VPN Pro.
The security level of Atlas VPN Free can still be considered very good.
Atlas VPN Free & Streaming: Netflix, YouTube, Amazon Prime…
- Amazon Prime: NoAmazon Prime streaming is supported by 51 % of reviewed VPNs
- Disney+: NoDisney+ streaming is supported by 49 % of reviewed VPNs
- HBO: NoHBO streaming is supported by 52 % of reviewed VPNs
- Hulu: NoHulu streaming is supported by 48 % of reviewed VPNs
- Netflix: NoNetflix streaming is supported by 64 % of reviewed VPNs
- YouTube: YesYouTube streaming is supported by 83 % of reviewed VPNs
Unfortunately, during testing of the free version of Atlas VPN Free, we were unable to unblock streams from popular services such as Netflix, Disney+, HBO, and others. We were only successful with YouTube.
While the Atlas VPN Free app does offer two US servers optimized for streaming, it only provides the benefit of faster connection speeds with the free version. Video playback is data-intensive, which is hardly compatible with the 5 GB per month limit.
With free VPNs, support for streaming services is rare. If you’re looking for a VPN to unblock video, we recommend choosing either the paid option Atlas VPN Pro or Surfshark.
Features of Atlas VPN Free: AdBlock, Static IP…
- Blocks Ads: NoAd blocking is offered by 48 % of the VPNs reviewed.
- Blocks Malware: NoMalware blocking is offered by 45 % of the VPNs reviewed.
- Blocks Trackers: NoTrackers blocking is offered by 42 % of the VPNs reviewed.
Ad blocking, malware, and tracker blocking are not available with the free option, these features are only available with the paid Atlas VPN Pro. A static IP address cannot be used either.
Users can use the data leak detector associated with the email address (Data Breach Monitor). However, only one email address can be tested in the free version.
Atlas VPN Free‘s CPU usage and App Performance
The load on the machine when using Atlas VPN Free is not out of line. The laptop with the VPN connection active worked without too much load and without overheating.
The app size of around 60 MB is favorable.
The device performance requirement for the free Atlas VPN Free is also lower than the paid version. This is because the latter has more features that can cause the app to run in the background and thus consume more power. However, the load is still minimal.
If you want to reduce the load even further, you can, for example, turn off automatic notifications and the use of haptic response.
Atlas VPN Free Torrenting Servers
- Torrenting servers: YesTorrenting support is offered by 87 % of the reviewed VPNs.
When testing Atlas VPN Free, we were unable to get the (legal) torrent transfer to work. None of the 3 available servers are even labeled P2P.
However, even if we were successful with torrenting at Atlas VPN Free, the data limit of 5 GB per month is a major limitation.
To use VPN for torrents, we recommend to prefer either the paid version Atlas VPN Pro or to choose, for example, CyberGhost VPN.
What is the country of origin of Atlas VPN Free?
- Country of origin: 🇺🇸 USA
The operator and owner of Atlas VPN Free is Peakstar Technologies Inc.
Based in Delaware, USA, Peakstar Technologies Inc. is known for tracking its citizens and sharing the information it obtains. The United States is one of the Five-Eyes Countries along with Canada, Australia, the United Kingdom, and New Zealand.
However, being based in this country does not detract from Atlas VPN Free‘s credibility, as the service balances this with a number of measures to increase user privacy. The VPN does not store any logs of user activity and publishes all government requests for sensitive information on its website.
Atlas VPN Free and Privacy: Logging Policy, Security Issues…
- No-Logs Policy: YesThe No-Logs Policy is followed by 85% of reviewed VPNs.
- Multi-Hop: NoMulti-Hop connection is offered by 30 % of the VPNs reviewed.
The level of privacy for the paid version is similar to the paid Atlas VPN Pro. When using a VPN, no logs are stored, but analytical data is collected for traffic, such as the volume of data transferred or the number of connected devices. The email address needed to maintain the user account is also stored.
Cookies are used on the Atlas VPN Free website.
At the time of testing, the operator of Atlas VPN Free stated that there had been no previous incidents of data release or theft.
In 2021, VerSprite conducted a security audit that found only minor flaws. These were immediately corrected. From a privacy perspective, we consider Atlas VPN Free to be a secure VPN.
Atlas VPN Free Support: Chat, e-mail…
Technical support at Atlas VPN Free is available via email (email@example.com); live chat is reserved for paid users only. Email can also be sent directly from the website by filling out the form. The technicians responded to our test query rather quickly and matter-of-factly.
Information can also be drawn from a database of hints and tutorials maintained by the support center. The database is very comprehensive and contains answers to the most common questions.
Atlas VPN also has a presence on Facebook, Twitter, and LinkedIn, where it posts the latest information regarding the service.
Atlas VPN Free FAQ
Is Atlas VPN Free secure?Yes, we consider Atlas VPN Free a secure service. The VPN uses AES-256 military-grade encryption and IPSec/IKEv2, ChaCha20, and WireGuard protocols. It also does not store any logs and anonymizes the collected data. Unfortunately, some other features to help achieve better security (such as split tunneling or secure browsing) are missing.
How many devices can I connect at the same time with Atlas VPN Free?The Atlas VPN Free can be used simultaneously on an unlimited number of devices, which is not very common with the free versions. On the other hand, there is a limitation in the form of a data transfer limit 5 GB per month, which is shared by all paired devices. Thus, multiple connected devices at the same time are not worthwhile.
How do I get Atlas VPN Free?To get the free version Atlas VPN Free, just download the standard Atlas VPN Pro app. After installing the app, fill in the email address (no password is entered) and skip the subscription option. This will automatically create a free account. You can upgrade to the paid version at any time.
Atlas VPN Free
Atlas VPN Free 💵 VPN Price: Free 📱 Device limit: Unlimited 🎞️Unblocks Netflix: No 🔌 Router Support: No 📄 No-Logs Policy: Yes 🛡 Kill Switch: Yes 🖥️Number of servers: 3 🗺️Country of origin: USA
Top Ten VPNs
Articles about VPNs
- The 3 Best VPNs for Watching F1 from Around the World
- Windows 10: Eight Ways You Can Protect Your Privacy
- How to Install a VPN on a Mac
- How to Install and Use a VPN on a PC
- iOS: 9 ways to protect your privacy
- How to Protect Your Privacy on the Internet
- How to Watch Foreign Netflix via VPN
- How to Install a VPN in Your Browser
- Facebook Marketplace Scam: Paying insurance via Royal Mail Express
- How to Choose a VPN: A Simple Guide for Beginners
- Chrome :
- Android TV: