TorGuard VPN Review 2023: 3 cons and 3 pros
TorGuard VPN: 3 Disadvantages & 3 Advantages
- Complicated access to trial version
- Basic subscription does not support streaming
- Money back guarantee only 7 days
- Interesting advanced features and settings
- Protect up to 12 devices
- High speed
TorGuard is a well-known VPN with a loyal user base. It offers interesting advanced features, very good speeds and a seamless connection. All the basic security features are also present.
Unfortunately, TorGuard VPN doesn’t boast the independent auditing we’d like to see with any VPN. Also, the app could have a more user-friendly design and we would like to see the split tunneling feature on other platforms, not just Android.
Streaming support is lame with TorGuard, as it’s only offered in the Pro version.
Overall, TorGuard VPN is an interesting VPN that doesn’t have any major flaws, especially when you’re concerned about connection security.
TorGuard VPN Subscription: Discount Code, Free Trial, Money Back Guarantee…
- Your Price:
$9.9961% off $3.89 /mo (12 devices)
- Money Back Guarantee: Yes (7 days)
- Free Trial: No
- Cryptocurrency payments: YesBitcoin :Yes
Access to the trial version is a bit strange. For the seven-day free trial, you need to email email@example.com your account from your last VPN. In practice, this means that if you want to get a taste of TorGuard VPN for free, you need to have a competing service first.
Then, if you’re new to VPNs and have never purchased another one, you don’t have the option to get the 7-day free version. However, TorGuard VPN does make a nice gesture. If you decide to stay loyal to TorGuard VPN only when comparing TorGuard VPN and the competition, the company will extend your free trial for 30 days. Just send proof of cancellation of your competitor’s VPN subscription.
When you purchase TorGuard VPN, you have a choice of two package versions Standard and Pro. The differences between these packages are mainly in the number of simultaneously connectable devices. Unlike the Standard, the Pro package also offers support for streaming services.
Also available is Business VPN for Business, which includes IP management, private email and more.
In addition to VPN, TorGuard also offers anonymous email. This service offers security for your emails with encryption, the ability to forward through aliases, and many other features.
In case of dissatisfaction, TorGuard will refund clients within 7 days. Exceptions are crypto payments and repeated complaints within the last 6 months. In such cases, they will not accept the claim. You will also not receive compensation if you miss the last possible day of termination and your subscription is extended for another period.
- Your Price:
TorGuard VPN and Supported Devices: Android, iOS, macOS…
- Device limit: 12
- Android:YesAndroid is supported by 100 % of reviewed VPNs
- Android TV:NoAndroid TV is supported by 41 % of reviewed VPNs
- Apple TV:NoApple TV is supported by 23 % of reviewed VPNs
- Fire TV:NoFire TV is supported by 42 % of reviewed VPNs
- Chromebook:NoChromebook is supported by 17 % of reviewed VPNs
- Chromecast:NoChromecast is supported by 22 % of reviewed VPNs
- iOS:YesiOS is supported by 98 % of reviewed VPNs
- Kodi:NoKodi is supported by 27 % of reviewed VPNs
- Linux:YesLinux is supported by 55 % of reviewed VPNs
- Mac:YesMac is supported by 98 % of reviewed VPNs
- NAS:YesNAS is supported by 30 % of reviewed VPNs
- nVidia Shield:YesnVidia Shield is supported by 26 % of reviewed VPNs
- Playstation:YesPlaystation is supported by 28 % of reviewed VPNs
- Raspberry Pi:YesRaspberry Pi is supported by 22 % of reviewed VPNs
- Roku:NoRoku is supported by 24 % of reviewed VPNs
- Router:YesRouter is supported by 52 % of reviewed VPNs
- Windows:YesWindows is supported by 100 % of reviewed VPNs
- xBox:YesxBox is supported by 28 % of reviewed VPNs
- Brave :YesThe Brave browser add-on is offered by 51 % of reviewed VPNs.
- Chrome :YesThe Chrome browser add-on is offered by 51 % of reviewed VPNs.
- Edge :YesThe Edge browser add-on is offered by 21 % of reviewed VPNs.
- Firefox :YesThe Firefox browser add-on is offered by 38 % of reviewed VPNs.
- Opera :YesThe Opera browser add-on is offered by 51 % of reviewed VPNs.
- Safari :NoThe Safari browser add-on is offered by 1 % of reviewed VPNs.
- Vivaldi :YesThe Vivaldi browser add-on is offered by 51 % of reviewed VPNs.
TorGuard VPN offers up to 8 simultaneously connected devices in the basic configuration, and 12 in the Pro package.
The VPN will work with Windows, Android, iOS, macOS, Linux, and on select routers. You can also install free browser extensions for Firefox, Chrome, and Edge.
TorGuard VPN App: User-friendliness, whitelist, server selection…
- Traffic limit: Unlimited
- App Languages: 🇺🇸 English +4 more🇩🇪 German 🇪🇸 Spanish 🇮🇹 Italian 🇦🇱 Albanian
- Whitelisting: YesWhitelisting is supported by 54 % of reviewed VPNs
The desktop app could offer more user-friendliness, but if you’re happy with the basic setup, it’s easy to use. In our opinion, the mobile app offers a more user-friendly design.
You can also set the app to automatically connect to a server of your choice when the app is launched. In the settings, you can adjust a lot of things from the app’s appearance to App Kill to DNS server adjustments.
The useful split tunneling feature is unfortunately only available on Android. It allows you to choose specific apps that should not connect to the internet via VPN. This is useful for banking apps, for example.
The apps are available in 5 languages: English, Spanish, German, Italian and Albanian.
TorGuard VPN Connection Speed: Upload, Download & Latency
TorGuard is one of the VPNs without a data transfer limit, and establishing a connection was quick and seamless. You have a choice of modern WireGuard or the very popular OpenVPN and OpenConnect protocols.
The speed depends on many factors such as the country you are connecting to or the load on the servers. In our test, we managed to measure above-average values.
TorGuard VPN Server Locations
- Number of servers: 3,000The average number of servers for the reviewed VPNs is 1551.
- Number of countries: 47The average number of countries available for the reviewed VPNs is 39.
Europe 🇧🇪 Belgium 🇧🇬 Bulgaria 🇨🇿 Czech Republic 🇩🇰 Denmark 🇫🇮 Finland 🇫🇷 France 🇮🇪 Ireland 🇮🇸 Iceland 🇮🇹 Italy 🇱🇺 Luxembourg 🇭🇺 Hungary 🇲🇩 Moldova 🇩🇪 Germany 🇳🇱 Netherlands 🇳🇴 Norway 🇵🇱 Poland 🇵🇹 Portugal 🇦🇹 Austria 🇷🇴 Romania 🇬🇷 Greece 🇸🇰 Slovakia 🇬🇧 United Kingdom 🇷🇸 Serbia 🇪🇸 Spain 🇸🇪 Sweden 🇨🇭 Switzerland 🇹🇷 Turkey 🇺🇦 Ukraine North America 🇨🇦 Canada 🇲🇽 Mexico 🇺🇸 USA South America 🇧🇷 Brazil 🇨🇱 Chile Asia 🇭🇰 Hong Kong 🇮🇳 India 🇮🇩 Indonesia 🇮🇱 Israel 🇯🇵 Japan 🇰🇷 South Korea 🇷🇺 Russia 🇸🇬 Singapore 🇦🇪 United Arab Emirates 🇹🇭 Thailand 🇹🇼 Taiwan Africa 🇿🇦 South Africa Oceania 🇦🇺 Australia 🇳🇿 New Zealand
With TorGuard VPN, you can connect to 47 countries around the world. Compared to the competition, this is slightly above average, with countries from all corners of the world on offer, including Australia and New Zealand.
In total, there are 3,000 servers to choose from, making TorGuard one of the best VPNs tested.
TorGuard VPN Security Features: DNS Leak Protection, Kill Switch…
- DNS leak protection : YesDNS leak protection is offered by 96% of the reviewed VPNs.
- Kill Switch: YesKill Switch is supported by 82% of the reviewed VPNs.
- Tor: NoTor support is offered by 12 % of the reviewed VPNs.
Like most providers, TorGuard provides DNS and kill switch protection.
DNS offers lots of settings on the “Network” page of the application settings. In these settings, you can also select a DNS server that blocks ads. At that point, you can choose from several DNS servers, besides Ad Blocking DNS, these include VPN DNS, Google, Level 3 or even Chinese internal DNS and more.
In the event that the TorGuard app crashes, it will immediately disconnect you from the internet on its own when the kill switch is turned on so that your real IP address is not revealed. Apart from that, though, TorGuard offers App Kill, in which you can set to close apps in case you lose connection with the TorGuard app.
TorGuard VPN & Streaming: Netflix, Youtube, Amazon Prime…
- Amazon Prime: NoAmazon Prime streaming is supported by 51 % of reviewed VPNs
- Disney+: NoDisney+ streaming is supported by 49 % of reviewed VPNs
- HBO: NoHBO streaming is supported by 51 % of reviewed VPNs
- Hulu: NoHulu streaming is supported by 47 % of reviewed VPNs
- Netflix: NoNetflix streaming is supported by 63 % of reviewed VPNs
- YouTube: YesYouTube streaming is supported by 83 % of reviewed VPNs
Compared to its competitors, TorGuard VPN lags in unblocking streaming services in the basic version. We were only able to connect to YouTube.
However, unblocking streaming services is offered in the Pro version, which offers a dedicated IP address that will already unblock streaming services like Netflix. However, this only applies to the country in which the IP address is located. So with TorGuard VPN, you’ll only unblock content for one foreign country.
On the other hand, with YouTube, TorGuard can make videos available in all available countries.
Features of TorGuard VPN: AdBlock, Static IP…
- Blocks Ads: YesAd blocking is offered by 48 % of the VPNs reviewed.
- Blocks Malware: YesMalware blocking is offered by 43 % of the VPNs reviewed.
- Blocks Trackers: NoTrackers blocking is offered by 42 % of the VPNs reviewed.
Auto-login and Auto-connect are now more common features, but let’s focus on something else that makes each VPN different.
A static, or dedicated IP address is only offered in the Pro version. This IP address is yours alone, no one else will use it. This brings advantages, for example in the case of streaming, the disadvantage is a lower level of privacy. Because only you will use the IP address, it can theoretically be traced back to you.
Adblock is offered through a special DNS server.
For more advanced users, TorGuard offers the use of scripts where you can, for example, set exactly how your VPN behaves before, after connection and after disconnection. You can think of this as, for example, opening various applications, websites and so on. On the TorGuard website, you can find different types for scripts or create your own.
In addition to VPNs, TorGuard also offers Private-Mail for encrypted mailbox and cloud storage.
TorGuard VPN‘s CPU usage and App Performance
When using TorGuard, the load on the computer was minimal. After disconnecting and closing the application, we did not notice any difference. So you don’t have to worry about TorGuard slowing down your computer noticeably.
TorGuard VPN Torrenting Servers
- Torrenting servers: YesTorrenting support is offered by 87 % of the reviewed VPNs.
TorGuard prides itself on its ability to work with torrents. You can torrent either through a SOCKS5 proxy or a VPN. Only torrents on US servers cannot be used.
What is the country of origin of TorGuard VPN?
- Country of origin: 🇺🇸 USA
TorGuard is headquartered in the United States of America in Florida. The US is known for its censorship and monitoring of internet users. Because of this unfavorable jurisdiction, TorGuard VPN has to block the use of torrent services in the country.
TorGuard VPN and Privacy: Logging Policy, Security Issues…
- No-Logs Policy: YesThe No-Logs Policy is followed by 85% of reviewed VPNs.
- Multi-Hop: YesMulti-Hop connection is offered by 32 % of the VPNs reviewed.
TorGuard only stores payment data, anonymized Google-Ads information, emails and any correspondence made via live-chat. Nevertheless, TorGuard does not store any user logs. It’s worth noting that TorGuard, unlike some of its competitors, has not been audited to date.
The VPN uses the highly secure AES-256 cipher along with SHA-512 for encryption. For OpenVPN, the less demanding AES-128 can also be manually selected.
TorGuard VPN Support: Chat, e-mail…
While TorGuard lists 24/7 support on its website, it does not have any live chat. If you need to resolve something with TorGuard, you can create a ticket, which requires registration on their site. Alternatively, you can use email firstname.lastname@example.org.
TorGuard VPN FAQ
Is TorGuard a good VPN?
TorGuard VPN offers plenty of benefits, such as torrenting speed or a wide range of custom scripting features. TorGuard is certainly security and anonymity friendly. On the other hand, the app itself is not very intuitive and is more suitable for more experienced users. For those less experienced, online support will be happy to help.
Is TorGuard a trusted VPN?
TorGuard is committed to not storing any user logs. However, it has not undergone an impartial security audit like some competing VPNs.
TorGuard VPN 💵 VPN Price: $3.89/mo 📱 Device limit: 12 🎞️Unblocks Netflix: No 🔌 Router Support: Yes 📄 No-Logs Policy: Yes 🛡 Kill Switch: Yes 🖥️Number of servers: 3,000 🗺️Country of origin: USA
Top Ten VPNs
Articles about VPNs
- How to install a VPN on an iPhone
- How to Install a VPN in Your Browser
- How to Protect Your Privacy on the Internet
- 🎮 Best VPN for gaming: 10 tips for PS and Xbox with low ping
- How to Install and Use a VPN on a PC
- Why We Recommend Using a VPN Every Day
- Best Free VPNs 2023: 10 Tips for Netflix, Android, and iOS
- VPN Guide: What is a VPN Connection and How does it Work?
- Free VPN: These Seven Things to Watch Out For
- EcoEnergy Electricity Saver is a scam, and saves no money
- Chrome :
- Android TV: