Kaspersky VPN Free Review 2023 Review: 3 cons and 3 pros
Kaspersky VPN Secure Connection Free: Free VPN With Daily Data Transfer Limit
- Daily data transfer limit 200 MB
- Only the nearest server is available
- Company headquarters in Russia may pose a security risk
- Unlimited number of simultaneously logged devices
- Use without registration
- Application available in a large number of languages
Kaspersky VPN Secure Connection Free is a free version of a service from Kaspersky Lab, which was founded in 1997 in Russia. In addition to VPNs, the company also offers Antivirus, Firewall, Payment Protection, and Password Manager. Kaspersky apps are used by millions of users worldwide and can be combined with each other.
The advantage of the application is the possibility to use it without registration. In this case, you have a daily data transfer limit of only 200 MB. If you register, the limit increases to 300 MB per day. These values are only suitable for short-term use and for protection when using an unsecured public network.
When using the free version Kaspersky VPN Secure Connection Free, only the nearest server can be connected, so the user has no choice and cannot take full advantage of the ability to unlock foreign content. Advanced features like whitelisting or kill switches are not available either. In the best providers (e.g. Surfshark or NordVPN), these are commonplace.
Kaspersky VPN Secure Connection Free Subscription: Discount Code, Free Trial, Money Back Guarantee…
- Your Price:
Free (999 devices)
VPN is a free variant of Kaspersky’s paid service, you can use it on any number of devices.
The paid version, Kaspersky VPN Secure Connection, also offers a kill switch, split tunneling, and unlimited data transfers, which is standard with paid VPNs. The advantage is the ability to connect to 2,000 servers in 33 countries of your choice. The offer also includes countries with government censorship, such as the United Arab Emirates, Russia, or China.
If you purchase the paid version Kaspersky VPN Secure Connection, you can try the paid product for free for 7 days. You can also take advantage of a money-back guarantee during 30 days after purchase.
- Your Price:
Kaspersky VPN Secure Connection Free and Supported Devices: Android, iOS, macOS…
- Device limit: Unlimited
- Android: YesAndroid is supported by 98 % of reviewed VPNs
- Android TV:NoAndroid TV is supported by 37 % of reviewed VPNs
- Apple TV:NoApple TV is supported by 18 % of reviewed VPNs
- Fire TV:NoFire TV is supported by 44 % of reviewed VPNs
- Chromebook:NoChromebook is supported by 21 % of reviewed VPNs
- Chromecast:NoChromecast is supported by 16 % of reviewed VPNs
- iOS:YesiOS is supported by 99 % of reviewed VPNs
- Kodi:NoKodi is supported by 22 % of reviewed VPNs
- Linux:NoLinux is supported by 60 % of reviewed VPNs
- Mac:YesMac is supported by 98 % of reviewed VPNs
- NAS:NoNAS is supported by 25 % of reviewed VPNs
- nVidia Shield:NonVidia Shield is supported by 15 % of reviewed VPNs
- Playstation:NoPlaystation is supported by 20 % of reviewed VPNs
- Raspberry Pi:NoRaspberry Pi is supported by 18 % of reviewed VPNs
- Roku:NoRoku is supported by 16 % of reviewed VPNs
- Router:NoRouter is supported by 54 % of reviewed VPNs
- Windows:YesWindows is supported by 100 % of reviewed VPNs
- xBox:NoxBox is supported by 20 % of reviewed VPNs
- Brave : NoThe Brave browser add-on is offered by 45 % of reviewed VPNs.
- Chrome :NoThe Chrome browser add-on is offered by 45 % of reviewed VPNs.
- Edge :NoThe Edge browser add-on is offered by 19 % of reviewed VPNs.
- Firefox :NoThe Firefox browser add-on is offered by 35 % of reviewed VPNs.
- Opera :NoThe Opera browser add-on is offered by 45 % of reviewed VPNs.
- Safari :NoThe Safari browser add-on is offered by 0 % of reviewed VPNs.
- Vivaldi :NoThe Vivaldi browser add-on is offered by 45 % of reviewed VPNs.
Kaspersky VPN Secure Connection Free can be used on an unlimited number of devices. At the same time, the advantage is that the daily data limit of 200/300 MB is calculated separately for each device.
The apps are available for the most widely used Windows, Android, macOS, and iOS systems. The Kaspersky VPN Secure Connection Free does not offer extensions for web browsers, routers, or game consoles.
Use of Kaspersky VPN Secure Connection Free is not possible in Belarus, China, Iran, Qatar, Oman, Pakistan and Saudi Arabia, although it has servers in some of these countries.
Kaspersky VPN Secure Connection Free App: User-friendliness, whitelist, server selection…
- App Languages: 🇺🇸 English +28 more🇩🇪 German 🇪🇸 Spanish 🇫🇷 French 🇵🇹 Portuguese 🇮🇹 Italian 🇨🇳 Chinese 🇷🇺 Russian 🇰🇷 Korean 🇵🇱 Polish 🇯🇵 Japanese 🇫🇮 Finnish 🇹🇷 Turkish 🇦🇪 Arabic 🇳🇱 Dutch 🇸🇪 Swedish 🇩🇰 Danish 🇮🇩 Indonesian 🇬🇷 Greek 🇹🇭 Thai 🇨🇿 Czech 🇷🇴 Romanian 🇻🇳 Vietnamese 🇧🇬 Bulgarian 🇳🇴 Bokmal 🇪🇪 Estonian 🇱🇹 Lithuanian 🇱🇻 Latvian 🇷🇸 Serbian
- Whitelisting: NoWhitelisting is supported by 52 % of reviewed VPNs
The app is easy to use, and VPN protection can be activated at the touch of a button. The free version Kaspersky VPN Secure Connection Free offers only basic features. Once launched, the application automatically logs on to the nearest server without the possibility of selecting another. In the same place, a calculator of data consumed from the daily limit is displayed.
Kaspersky for Desktop offers the option to start automatically when the computer is turned on; however, due to the limited amount of data, it is better to use a VPN only when surfing an unsecured network. The app can detect these insecure networks in the vicinity, and even in the free version, you can turn on VPN protection automatically. No kill switch feature will automatically block internet access if the VPN connection is lost. Nor does Kaspersky VPN Secure Connection Free support a whitelist for selecting sites and apps where the VPN will not be used.
In addition, the Kaspersky VPN Secure Connection Free mobile app lets you check whether your private data has been leaked to the public. You can set the app to light or dark mode. The Kaspersky mobile app is available in 29 languages.
All devices can be managed on My Kaspersky, where you can view the limits of each device, purchase additional Kaspersky Lab products, or even remotely disconnect devices from the VPN.
Kaspersky VPN Secure Connection Free Connection Speed: Upload, Download & Latency
- Traffic limit: 9 GB per month
Establishing a connection is fast and easy with Kaspersky VPN Secure Connection Free on both mobile and desktop. However, Kaspersky VPN Secure Connection Free is not suitable for large data transfers, as the very low daily limit of 200/300 MB does not allow large files to be downloaded or uploaded.
However, the measured download values (on average 81 Mb/s) are sufficient to stream videos on Netflix and other platforms in 4K resolution.
The average measured upload 68 Mb/s is satisfactory for normal VPN use. The response time 13 ms is good.
When testing connection speeds on a network with lower data rates, there was only a very small speed reduction of a few percent. There was already a noticeable slowdown when testing at higher speeds, but this does not limit normal internet use.
Kaspersky VPN Secure Connection Free Server Locations
- Number of servers: 2,000The average number of servers for the reviewed VPNs is 1670.
- Number of countries: 80The average number of countries available for the reviewed VPNs is 41.
Europe 🇧🇪 Belgium 🇦🇩 Andorra 🇧🇾 Belarus 🇧🇦 Bosnia and Herzegovina 🇧🇬 Bulgaria 🇲🇪 Montenegro 🇨🇿 Czech Republic 🇩🇰 Denmark 🇪🇪 Estonia 🇫🇮 Finland 🇫🇷 France 🇭🇷 Croatia 🇮🇪 Ireland 🇮🇸 Iceland 🇮🇹 Italy 🇨🇾 Cyprus 🇱🇮 Liechtenstein 🇱🇹 Lithuania 🇱🇺 Luxembourg 🇭🇺 Hungary 🇲🇹 Malta 🇲🇩 Moldova 🇲🇨 Monaco 🇩🇪 Germany 🇳🇱 Netherlands 🇳🇴 Norway 🇵🇱 Poland 🇵🇹 Portugal 🇦🇹 Austria 🇷🇴 Romania 🇬🇷 Greece 🇸🇰 Slovakia 🇸🇮 Slovenia 🇬🇧 United Kingdom 🇷🇸 Serbia 🇪🇸 Spain 🇸🇪 Sweden 🇨🇭 Switzerland 🇹🇷 Turkey 🇺🇦 Ukraine North America 🇬🇹 Guatemala 🇨🇦 Canada 🇨🇷 Costa Rica 🇲🇽 Mexico 🇵🇦 Panama 🇺🇸 USA South America 🇧🇷 Brazil 🇦🇷 Argentina 🇪🇨 Ecuador 🇨🇱 Chile 🇨🇴 Colombia 🇵🇪 Peru Asia 🇦🇲 Armenia 🇦🇿 Azerbaijan 🇧🇩 Bangladesh 🇧🇹 Bhutan 🇧🇳 Brunei 🇨🇳 China 🇵🇭 Philippines 🇬🇪 Georgia 🇭🇰 Hong Kong 🇮🇳 India 🇮🇩 Indonesia 🇮🇱 Israel 🇯🇵 Japan 🇰🇷 South Korea 🇰🇭 Cambodia 🇰🇿 Kazakhstan 🇳🇵 Nepal 🇵🇰 Pakistan 🇷🇺 Russia 🇸🇬 Singapore 🇦🇪 United Arab Emirates 🇹🇭 Thailand 🇻🇳 Vietnam Africa 🇩🇿 Algeria 🇪🇬 Egypt 🇿🇦 South Africa Oceania 🇦🇺 Australia 🇳🇿 New Zealand
With Kaspersky VPN Secure Connection Free, you can only connect to the closest server of all available ones. The application will connect to it automatically when it starts, the selection cannot be influenced in any way. Servers are also available in the USA, Canada, United Kingdom, Ireland, Australia, and New Zealand. All Kaspersky servers support streaming and torrenting.
The paid version of Kaspersky VPN Secure Connection offers more than 2,000 servers in 33 countries around the world. Although this coverage does not place the company among the top VPN providers, the server offer is sufficient.
The Kaspersky VPN Secure Connection Free also has servers in countries that censor Internet access, such as China, Russia, and the United Arab Emirates.
Kaspersky is not the direct operator of the servers. The infrastructure for providing the service is supplied by a competing service HotspotShield Premium.
Kaspersky VPN Secure Connection Free Security Features: DNS Leak Protection, Kill Switch…
- DNS leak protection : YesDNS leak protection is offered by 92% of the reviewed VPNs.
- Kill Switch: NoKill Switch is supported by 85% of the reviewed VPNs.
- Multi-Hop: NoMulti-Hop connection is offered by 20 % of the VPNs reviewed.
- Tor: NoTor support is offered by 18 % of the reviewed VPNs.
Kaspersky VPN Secure Connection Free uses Catapult Hydra protocol with 256-bit encryption, WireGuard protocol with 128-bit encryption, ChaCha20-Poly1305 and OpenVPN protocol for security, which are widely used among VPN providers and are considered secure.
Kaspersky does not have its own DNS servers or any advanced protection, but in testing, the VPN service hid information about our real DNS and IPv4 address.
To protect logins to the app, Kaspersky VPN Secure Connection Free offers two-factor authentication. It can be activated from the mobile app via the My Kaspersky portal, which is also available for the free version. Subsequently, third-party apps can be used for two-factor authentication.
The Kaspersky VPN Secure Connection Free allows the detection of insecure networks and can be set to automatically activate connections only via VPN.
An interesting feature of the mobile app is the QR code scanner, which warns the user if they are about to enter a suspicious website. Kaspersky can prevent the visit altogether, thus protecting the user. The mobile app also checks for sensitive data leaks, such as passwords or credit card numbers.
A noticeable shortcoming of Kaspersky VPN Secure Connection Free in terms of security is the lack of a kill switch function. This disconnects the user from the internet when the connection to the VPN server is broken. The kill switch thus prevents the loss or compromise of the user’s data. Split-tunneling, which allows selected applications to bypass the VPN, is also not available in the free version.
Also not supported is the multi-hop feature, which routes connections through two different VPN servers for even more security. Nor does Kaspersky VPN Secure Connection Free support the Tor protocol.
Kaspersky VPN Secure Connection Free & Streaming: Netflix, YouTube, Amazon Prime…
- Amazon Prime: NoAmazon Prime streaming is supported by 53 % of reviewed VPNs
- Disney+: NoDisney+ streaming is supported by 55 % of reviewed VPNs
- HBO: NoHBO streaming is supported by 58 % of reviewed VPNs
- Hulu: NoHulu streaming is supported by 51 % of reviewed VPNs
- Netflix: NoNetflix streaming is supported by 65 % of reviewed VPNs
- YouTube: YesYouTube streaming is supported by 96 % of reviewed VPNs
In addition, the free option Kaspersky VPN Secure Connection Free does not offer the possibility to log in to any server other than the nearest one. This removes the advantage of a virtual change of location, which would allow the user to unblock content available only in certain countries. Kaspersky does not operate dedicated servers primarily for video playback. Streaming is possible on all servers.
Streaming services often try to block the use of VPNs to prevent users from watching content that is not available in their country. Some VPN providers offer a camouflage mode for this purpose, making it difficult to detect an activated VPN. However, Kaspersky VPN Secure Connection Free does not offer this service.
Features of Kaspersky VPN Secure Connection Free: AdBlock, Static IP…
- Blocks Ads: NoAd blocking is offered by 43 % of the VPNs reviewed.
- Blocks Malware: NoMalware blocking is offered by 34 % of the VPNs reviewed.
- Blocks Trackers: NoTrackers blocking is offered by 36 % of the VPNs reviewed.
The free variant Kaspersky VPN Secure Connection Free offers the possibility to check whether sensitive user data has been leaked to the Internet. It can also be used to automatically connect when an insecure network is detected. The mobile app can protect the user when accessing unsafe sites via a QR code.
Kill switch, whitelist, multi-hop or any other advanced features are not available. Nor does Kaspersky VPN Secure Connection Free offer VPN camouflage, automatic IP address changes for enhanced security, or a dedicated IP address.
The Kaspersky VPN Secure Connection Free doesn’t have a browser extension, so it doesn’t offer additional features like blocking pop-up ads in browsers either. Tracker or malware-blocking features are also missing.
Kaspersky is one of the world’s major players in the field of internet security, and users can add a number of other products to a VPN to increase protection:
- Kaspersky Anti-virus to protect devices from viruses
- Kaspersky Password Manager for password management
- Kaspersky Safe Kids for parental control of children
- Kaspersky Security Cloud Personal to protect your home cloud environment
- Kaspersky Internet Security for advanced protection of your devices
Kaspersky VPN Secure Connection Free‘s CPU usage and App Performance
VPN applications generally don’t put much strain on the computer, and this is also true for Kaspersky VPN Secure Connection Free. The application runs in the background when the window is closed, however, it can be turned off completely. To increase control over the app, the feature of automatically turning on the VPN when the device is started can be disabled.
On the Macbook tested, the Kaspersky app used only 0.2% of the computing power and had a very similar effect on battery usage. The application took up around 30 MB of RAM capacity, with approximately 500 MB on disk after installation.
Kaspersky VPN Secure Connection Free Torrenting Servers
- Torrenting servers: YesTorrenting support is offered by 88 % of the reviewed VPNs.
Kaspersky VPN Secure Connection Free supports torrenting on all servers, with dedicated servers for P2P file sharing available for the paid version. However, the free VPN variant only connects to the nearest available server.
It should also be mentioned here that Kaspersky VPN Secure Connection Free is not suitable for torrenting due to the very low data transfer limit. For this purpose, we recommend using, for example, CyberGhost VPN, which offers dedicated servers for torrenting.
What is the country of origin of Kaspersky VPN Secure Connection Free?
- VPN Provider: AO Kaspersky Lab
- Country of origin: 🇷🇺 Russia
Kaspersky VPN Secure Connection Free is owned by Kaspersky Lab, a company based in Russia. The entire holding company is headquartered in the UK.
The Russia is not one of the countries belonging to the 5/9/14 Eyes alliance, which share user information with each other. However, the country itself is known for strong internet censorship, restricting civil rights and citizen information, and spreading government propaganda.
Kaspersky VPN Secure Connection Free and Privacy: Logging Policy, Security Issues…
- No-Logs Policy: PartiallyThe No-Logs Policy is followed by 78% of reviewed VPNs.
Kaspersky Lab publishes a “Transparency Report” every six months to share information about how it handles data. On its website, Kaspersky informs that it does not store any logs of user activity. Through the Transparency Center, independent evaluators can assess the company’s security.
However, the Kaspersky VPN Secure Connection Free application collects a fair amount of anonymized data to improve services. In addition, the company collects user data (e.g., email) for marketing purposes; this can be turned off in the mobile app.
The VPN servers are operated via HotspotShield Premium from AnchorFree. Hotspot Shield’s website states that the company collects anonymized data on customers to improve service and better target advertising.
The operator Kaspersky VPN Secure Connection Free transparently discloses requests from police and government agencies for user data. It regularly publishes information about these requests, including their processing and eventual release.
Kaspersky Lab’s data handling is ISO 27001 certified, and the company has also undergone a Service Organization Control for Service Organizations (SOC 2) Type 1 audit, i.e., an audit by one of the “Big Four” companies.
The application collects suspicious and faulty data within the Kaspersky Security Network to better identify and protect clients in the future. This data is stored in data centers in Switzerland (European users) or Malaysia, Spain, Italy, Brazil, Japan, the Netherlands, and the USA for users from other countries. Customers can decide for themselves whether to provide data from their devices.
There has been criticism of Kaspersky on the Internet because of its headquarters in Russia and the founder’s ties to the country’s top government officials. The US and Italian governments have banned the use of the company’s products in the public sector because of the potential risk to national security.
Kaspersky VPN Secure Connection Free Support: Chat, e-mail…
Kaspersky support can be contacted via a web form, which is filled out with a large amount of information about the product used and the user’s device.
Telephone support is also available, as well as chat for selected languages. The availability of the hotline and chat varies between languages, with non-stop chat available in English.
As part of Kaspersky product support, a premium assistance package can be purchased for a fee, where a trained Kaspersky employee can remotely resolve any issues and product installation.
A large amount of information about the application or problems with it can be found in the Kaspersky Lab knowledge base or in the forum, where questions are answered by experienced users.
Kaspersky VPN Secure Connection Free FAQ
Is Kaspersky VPN Secure Connection Free secure?For casual users who occasionally need to use a VPN to connect to unsecured networks, Kaspersky VPN Secure Connection Free is sufficient. However, it lacks security features such as kill switch or multi-hop. For regular use, we recommend choosing another VPN that offers more security features and does not limit the user in the amount of data transferred.
Is Kaspersky VPN Secure Connection Free a good VPN?Kaspersky VPN Secure Connection Free provides only basic protection; the big limitation is the available connection only to the nearest server and the very low data transfer limit of 200 MB per day for unregistered and 300 MB per day for registered users. In our test, the VPN achieved a 6.8/10 rating, while NordVPN, for example, scored 9.4/10.
How does Kaspersky VPN Secure Connection Free work?VPN stands for Virtual Private Network, which makes it possible to surf the Internet privately and securely without the risk of tracking user behavior, visited sites, or personal data. With a VPN, data is encrypted, and a different IP address is used. The free Kaspersky VPN Secure Connection Free allows connection only to the nearest available server. Paid VPN variants offer the possibility to connect to a server of the user’s choice and thus access sites unavailable in some countries.
Kaspersky VPN Secure Connection Free
Kaspersky VPN Secure Connection Free 💵 VPN Price: Free 📱 Device limit: Unlimited 🎞️Unblocks Netflix: No 🔌 Router Support: No 📄 No-Logs Policy: Partially 🛡 Kill Switch: No 🖥️Number of servers: 2,000 🗺️Country of origin: Russia
Top Ten VPNs
Articles about VPNs
- Free VPN: These Seven Things to Watch Out For
- Amazon Prime Video: Subscription Prices in 57 Countries [2023 Edition]
- What Is a VPN and How Does It Work? 4 Usage Examples
- YouTube Premium: Subscription Prices by Country
- MacOS: 8 Ways to Protect Your Privacy
- Why We Recommend Using a VPN Every Day
- Tesla Energy Saver is a Scam. We Know What’s Inside the Device!
- Best VPN for Android 2023: 10 (un)paid options
- Chrome :
- Android TV: