ZoogVPN Free Review 2023: 4 Cons and 2 Pros
ZoogVPN Free: Free VPN Has Some Major Flaws
- It does not have built-in DNS leak protection
- It fails to unblock streaming platforms
- Lacks independent third party verification
- Application is in English only
- The company is based outside the 14 Eyes alliance
- Users have a choice of 5 different protocols
A major shortcoming of ZoogVPN Free is the lack of DNS leak protection, which we consider an essential security feature. The app is in English only and, with the exception of YouTube, was unable to unblock video from any streaming platform.
Users of ZoogVPN Free can use 9 servers in 5 countries. Such an artificially limited offering is typical of free VPNs, and will suffice for most casual users.
According to the operator’s claims, ZoogVPN Free does not store logs from the use of the service, independent third-party verification of this is lacking. For a free service, it offers a relatively wide range of supported devices, including a router, Android TV or Chromebook. The advantage is the possibility to choose from five different protocols, two of which are developed entirely by the operator ZoogVPN Free.
While ZoogVPN Free can be used for torrenting and P2P file sharing, a significant limitation is the data transfer limit 10 GB per month. An important kill switch feature is provided by the application.
ZoogVPN Free Subscription: Discount Code, Free Trial, Money Back Guarantee…
- Your Price:
Free (1 devices)
ZoogVPN Free is free for an unlimited time.
It is a free alternative to the paid version ZoogVPN Pro, whose subscription starts at $1.87 per month. The order is covered by a money-back guarantee of 7 days.
- Your Price:
ZoogVPN Free and Supported Devices: Android, iOS, macOS…
- Device limit: 1
- Android: YesAndroid is supported by 98 % of reviewed VPNs
- Android TV:YesAndroid TV is supported by 37 % of reviewed VPNs
- Apple TV:NoApple TV is supported by 18 % of reviewed VPNs
- Fire TV:YesFire TV is supported by 44 % of reviewed VPNs
- Chromebook:YesChromebook is supported by 21 % of reviewed VPNs
- Chromecast:NoChromecast is supported by 16 % of reviewed VPNs
- iOS:YesiOS is supported by 99 % of reviewed VPNs
- Kodi:NoKodi is supported by 22 % of reviewed VPNs
- Linux:YesLinux is supported by 60 % of reviewed VPNs
- Mac:YesMac is supported by 98 % of reviewed VPNs
- NAS:NoNAS is supported by 25 % of reviewed VPNs
- nVidia Shield:NonVidia Shield is supported by 15 % of reviewed VPNs
- Playstation:NoPlaystation is supported by 20 % of reviewed VPNs
- Raspberry Pi:NoRaspberry Pi is supported by 18 % of reviewed VPNs
- Roku:NoRoku is supported by 16 % of reviewed VPNs
- Router:YesRouter is supported by 54 % of reviewed VPNs
- Windows:YesWindows is supported by 100 % of reviewed VPNs
- xBox:NoxBox is supported by 20 % of reviewed VPNs
- Brave : YesThe Brave browser add-on is offered by 45 % of reviewed VPNs.
- Chrome :YesThe Chrome browser add-on is offered by 45 % of reviewed VPNs.
- Edge :NoThe Edge browser add-on is offered by 19 % of reviewed VPNs.
- Firefox :NoThe Firefox browser add-on is offered by 35 % of reviewed VPNs.
- Opera :YesThe Opera browser add-on is offered by 45 % of reviewed VPNs.
- Safari :NoThe Safari browser add-on is offered by 0 % of reviewed VPNs.
- Vivaldi :YesThe Vivaldi browser add-on is offered by 45 % of reviewed VPNs.
With a single account, ZoogVPN Free can only be used on 1 devices at the same time, this limitation is common with free VPNs.
The ZoogVPN Free app is available for Windows, macOS and Linux computers, with Manjaro, Mint, MX, Ubuntu and Debian distributions supported. The mobile app is available for Android and iOS. It is supported on Android TV and Fire TV and on the alternative Chromebook platform.
The advantage of ZoogVPN Free is the ability to run on a router, where all devices connected to the same network are automatically protected. The first time, all you need to do is set up the VPN on the router.
The browser extension is only available for Chrome plus Opera, Vivaldi and Brave, which use the same add-on store.
ZoogVPN Free App: User-friendliness, whitelist, server selection…
- App Languages: 🇺🇸 English
- Whitelisting: NoWhitelisting is supported by 52 % of reviewed VPNs
There is no need to create a user account to use ZoogVPN Free, just download the app and you can use the VPN immediately. Creating a user account is only possible using an email and password, logging in with Facebook or Google is not supported by the app.
The app’s interface ZoogVPN Free is similar on mobile and desktop, rendered in a dark green theme. Changing to a light or different look is not possible. The homepage displays the current IP address of the user. After selecting the VPN server you will be connected almost immediately, also you can easily re-establish the previous connection using the on/off button.
During testing, the app worked without any problems. Most free VPNs restrict data transfer, unfortunately ZoogVPN Free is no exception. The limit 10 GB per month is applied.
In the settings of the desktop application, you can enable automatic start and connection to the VPN after the device boots. In the mobile version, you can only enable automatic connection to the VPN when the app is turned on. The ZoogVPN Free does not have a kill switch function, which disconnects the user from the Internet if the VPN connection is interrupted. This feature would prevent the user’s real IP address from being revealed.
The ZoogVPN Free app does not support the whitelist feature, which allows selected apps and sites to bypass VPN protection while everyone else accesses the Internet through it. Whitelist is only available in a Google Chrome extension.
The ZoogVPN Shadowing feature is available in the mobile app, which can bypass censorship through selected firewalls.
ZoogVPN Free Connection Speed: Upload, Download & Latency
- Traffic limit: 10 GB per month
ZoogVPN Free limits the data transfer limit to 10 GB per month, a common practice with free VPNs to encourage users to subscribe to the paid version.
Connecting to the servers was fast. In repeated tests, we measured average download 42 Mb/s, which is sufficient for normal Internet surfing. For example, for 4k video playback, the speed would already be rather insufficient, with a limit of 50 Mbps being cited as necessary for this purpose.
The upload speed 8 Mb/s is again sufficient for normal Internet use.
In repeated tests we measured ZoogVPN Free an average response 117 ms. Such a value could already cause annoying stuttering for example during video calls or online gaming, for example with NordVPN we achieved an average response of 11 ms. For response speed, lower is better.
The ZoogVPN Free is suitable for normal Internet activity, but we do not recommend it for computer gaming or data backup.
ZoogVPN Free Server Locations
- Number of servers: 9The average number of servers for the reviewed VPNs is 1661.
- Number of countries: 5The average number of countries available for the reviewed VPNs is 40.
Europe 🇩🇪 Germany 🇳🇱 Netherlands 🇬🇧 United Kingdom North America 🇺🇸 USA South America Asia 🇸🇬 Singapore Africa Oceania
Users of ZoogVPN Free have access to 9 servers in 5 countries. For a free service, the offer is sufficient.
Of the English-speaking countries, only the US and the UK have servers allocated. Servers in Canada, Australia and New Zealand are not available, and the same applies to Russia, Turkey, the United Arab Emirates or other countries with government censorship.
An option to automatically connect to the fastest server at the time is available in the app. Alternatively, the connection location can be selected from a list, with each entry showing a label indicating whether the server is optimised for torrenting, P2P, streaming or whether it supports ZoogVPN Shadowing.
Locations cannot be added to favourites, but a list of recent connections is available. Most servers are physically located in a given country, with only a few virtual ones. Unfortunately, there is no way to distinguish between them. All servers fully support all features available in the application.
ZoogVPN Free Security Features: DNS Leak Protection, Kill Switch…
- DNS leak protection : NoDNS leak protection is offered by 93% of the reviewed VPNs.
- Kill Switch: YesKill Switch is supported by 85% of the reviewed VPNs.
- Multi-Hop: NoMulti-Hop connection is offered by 20 % of the VPNs reviewed.
- Tor: NoTor support is offered by 18 % of the reviewed VPNs.
ZoogVPN Free lacks the basic DNS leak protection that is standard in most competing applications.
Kill switch is implemented in the application. Its principle of operation is to disconnect the device from the Internet in case the connection to the VPN server fails. This prevents the possible discovery of the user’s location and IP address.
Users can choose from five different protocols in the settings. The basic ones are IKEv2, OpenVPN UDP and OpenVPN TCP, complemented by ZoogTLS and Shadow protocols, which are developed by the operator ZoogVPN Free itself. Detailed information about these protocols is not available, but for the others it is:
- IKEv2 is an open-source protocol for securely exchanging keys and creating secure connections within a VPN.
- OpenVPN is a popular open-source VPN protocol. It allows you to create secure encrypted connections over public or unsecured networks.
- TCP provides reliable data transfer between devices with order checking and error detection.
- UDP provides fast but less reliable data transfer without order checking or error correction.
- TLS provides secure communication between devices on the Internet, encrypting data and protecting it from eavesdropping and tampering.
All free servers are protected by 128-bit AES encryption, the paid variant ZoogVPN Pro supports better 256-bit AES encryption of transmitted data.
Unfortunately, connecting servers via Tor is not supported by ZoogVPN Free. This option would greatly enhance the security of the connection, and is only available from better VPN providers.
Multi-hop connectivity is not currently available, but plans are underway to make it available. Multi-hop allows connections through multiple VPN servers simultaneously, which increases the security of the connection. Two-factor authentication is not provided during login.
ZoogVPN Free & Streaming: Netflix, YouTube, Amazon Prime…
- Amazon Prime: NoAmazon Prime streaming is supported by 51 % of reviewed VPNs
- Disney+: NoDisney+ streaming is supported by 54 % of reviewed VPNs
- HBO: NoHBO streaming is supported by 57 % of reviewed VPNs
- Hulu: NoHulu streaming is supported by 48 % of reviewed VPNs
- Netflix: NoNetflix streaming is supported by 65 % of reviewed VPNs
- YouTube: YesYouTube streaming is supported by 95 % of reviewed VPNs
The paid option offers users special servers to better support unblocking streams. This probably doesn’t apply to the free VPN, as we were only able to unblock video from the YouTube platform in our test.
In addition, due to the low download speed (we measured on average 42 Mb/s), it is not possible to play 4k resolution content.
For unblocking and watching videos, we recommend preferring NordVPN. In the test, it was able to unblock all streaming platforms, offering consistently high connection speeds and on top of that an excellent level of security.
Features of ZoogVPN Free: AdBlock, Static IP…
- Blocks Ads: NoAd blocking is offered by 43 % of the VPNs reviewed.
- Blocks Malware: NoMalware blocking is offered by 33 % of the VPNs reviewed.
- Blocks Trackers: NoTrackers blocking is offered by 36 % of the VPNs reviewed.
ZoogVPN Free has no extra features. Ad blocking, malware and tracker blocking is also not available in the app.
Support is also missing for camouflage mode, where the VPN can be disguised as a regular connection. For example, it is more difficult for ISPs or streaming platform operators to detect activated VPN protection. This feature is offered, for example, by NordVPN.
Only a dynamic IP address is available with ZoogVPN Free, which changes every time you connect and disconnect from the VPN server. A static IP address is not offered.
ZoogVPN Free‘s CPU usage and App Performance
Like most applications, ZoogVPN Free doesn’t put a significant load on the device.
When the app is shut down, the process moves to the background, reducing the performance requirements. Only RAM memory is used at that moment, the application can be completely turned off via hidden icons.
ZoogVPN Free Torrenting Servers
- Torrenting servers: YesTorrenting support is offered by 88 % of the reviewed VPNs.
ZoogVPN Free supports torrenting and P2P file sharing, with dedicated servers available in the app for this type of traffic. You can recognize them by their P2P designation, they are located in Germany. Servers with a static IP address ZoogVPN Free do not offer it.
Given the data limit 10 GB per month and the measured download speeds (42 Mb/s) and upload (8 Mb/s), we do not consider ZoogVPN Free to be a suitable service for torrenting. Even more so when the application lacks important DNS leak protection.
What is the country of origin of ZoogVPN Free?
- VPN Provider: Zoog Services IKE
- Country of origin: 🇬🇷 Greece
ZoogVPN Free is operated by Zoog Services IKE, based in Patras, Greece. Founded in 2013, it has been involved in private network development and internet security since the beginning. It has not launched any other applications on the market.
Greece is not part of the 14 Eyes alliance of countries that monitor internet traffic and can share the security information they obtain with each other. However, the country is a member of the European Union, so it must comply with, among other things, the GDPR regulation on data protection.
ZoogVPN Free and Privacy: Logging Policy, Security Issues…
- No-Logs Policy: YesThe No-Logs Policy is followed by 78% of reviewed VPNs.
The provider of ZoogVPN Free states that it does not store any sensitive information while using the application. Thus, there is no logging of websites visited, devices used or data transferred. Only the most necessary data needed to run the service is collected, such as login details or the amount of data transferred to monitor the monthly limit.
Users’ personal data is not shared without their explicit consent. However, it is possible that they may be handed over to, for example, the police or a court in the event of a legitimate request for their disclosure.
Even more confidence in ZoogVPN Free would benefit from an independent third-party audit. To date, there is no information that the company has resold customer data, handed it over to government authorities or leaked it.
Among the advanced security features, ZoogVPN Free lacks multi-hop, where the application typically connects through two different VPN servers simultaneously. However, the feature should appear in a future version of the app.
Some VPN operators exclusively use servers with RAM memory, which does not allow long-term data storage. The ZoogVPN Free does not use this technology when all servers are equipped with hard drives.
ZoogVPN Free Support: Chat, e-mail…
Customer support at ZoogVPN Free is available via email at email@example.com or via a web form, which then routes the communication to email. Our emailed questions were answered by support within a few hours.
In addition, there is a section on the ZoogVPN Free website that answers frequently asked questions and provides information about VPNs. Also available here are tutorials on how to download and configure VPNs for different types of devices.
ZoogVPN Free FAQ
Is ZoogVPN Free secure?The ZoogVPN Free is not verified by an independent third party and lacks basic DNS leak protection. Although there are no records of user data being sold or leaked or other problems, the service cannot be considered 100% secure. The service is usable for casual use by less demanding users.
Is ZoogVPN Free free?Yes, ZoogVPN Free is completely free for an unlimited period of time, the downside is the limit of data transferred 10 GB per month. The same operator also offers a paid version ZoogVPN Pro at $1.87 per month, where there are no restrictions.
In which countries does ZoogVPN Free have its servers?The ZoogVPN Free has servers located in Germany, the Netherlands, Singapore, the UK and the US.
ZoogVPN Free 💵 VPN Price: Free 📱 Device limit: 1 🎞️Unblocks Netflix: No 🔌 Router Support: Yes 📄 No-Logs Policy: Yes 🛡 Kill Switch: Yes 🖥️Number of servers: 9 🗺️Country of origin: Greece
Top Ten VPNs
Articles about VPNs
- Netflix prices in 245 countries (2023 EDITION)
- Best VPN for Android 2023: 10 (un)paid options
- What Is a VPN Kill Switch and How Does It Work?
- Password Generator: Up to 64 Chars, Secure and Ad-Free
- Dangerous supplements: 22 products, spam, and fake doctors
- Surfshark Antivirus 2023 Review: Price, 3 Cons and 4 Pros
- EcoEnergy Electricity Saver is a scam, and saves no money
- How to Install a VPN in Your Browser
- iOS: 9 ways to protect your privacy
- Chrome :
- Android TV: