iTop VPN Free Review 2023 Review: 5 cons and 3 pros
iTop VPN Free Lacks Important Features, Plus Sells User Data
- Low level of compatibility
- DNS request leaks have been detected in the past
- Below average download (24 Mb/s) and upload (13 Mb/s)
- It stores large amounts of data
- Only 100 servers in 7 countries
- VPN can be used on up to 5 devices simultaneously
- Data transfer limit 700 MB per day
- Offers dedicated servers for gaming
iTop VPN Free is a medium-sized VPN service backed by iTop Inc., a Hong Kong-based company founded in 2016.
The main drawback of the free version iTop VPN Free is the large amount of data collected and the fact that all user activity is logged. DNS request leaks have been detected in the past.
We must also criticise iTop VPN Free for its below-average download speed (24 Mb/s), upload speed (13 Mb/s) and response time (130 ms). The VPN supports the four most popular platforms and uses only the two basic protocols, OpenVPN and PPTP, for security.
The advantages of iTop VPN Free are the ability to simultaneously connect to 5 different devices and a daily limit of 700 MB of data transferred, which is above average among free VPNs. Some users may also appreciate dedicated servers for gaming with the free version.
iTop VPN Free Subscription: Discount Code, Free Trial, Money Back Guarantee…
- Your Price:
Free (5 devices)
iTop VPN Free can be used for free – just sign up. The free option serves as an unlimited time trial of the paid iTop VPN Pro. At the same time, it can be used on 5 devices.
To use iTop VPN Free, just download the application common to both versions and enter your email address and account password. Surprisingly, the app does not verify that the address you entered actually exists. The password can be easily changed in the application settings. No payment details are entered during registration, and a green “Free” sign in the top left corner of the app informs you that you are using the free version.
The iTop VPN Pro is available in three subscription lengths. To upgrade to the paid version, simply add payment details to your account, and you can take advantage of a money-back guarantee of 30 days from the time of purchase.
- Your Price:
iTop VPN Free and Supported Devices: Android, iOS, macOS…
- Device limit: 5
- Android: YesAndroid is supported by 98 % of reviewed VPNs
- Android TV:NoAndroid TV is supported by 37 % of reviewed VPNs
- Apple TV:NoApple TV is supported by 18 % of reviewed VPNs
- Fire TV:NoFire TV is supported by 44 % of reviewed VPNs
- Chromebook:NoChromebook is supported by 21 % of reviewed VPNs
- Chromecast:NoChromecast is supported by 16 % of reviewed VPNs
- iOS:YesiOS is supported by 99 % of reviewed VPNs
- Kodi:NoKodi is supported by 22 % of reviewed VPNs
- Linux:NoLinux is supported by 60 % of reviewed VPNs
- Mac:YesMac is supported by 98 % of reviewed VPNs
- NAS:NoNAS is supported by 25 % of reviewed VPNs
- nVidia Shield:NonVidia Shield is supported by 15 % of reviewed VPNs
- Playstation:NoPlaystation is supported by 20 % of reviewed VPNs
- Raspberry Pi:NoRaspberry Pi is supported by 18 % of reviewed VPNs
- Roku:NoRoku is supported by 16 % of reviewed VPNs
- Router:NoRouter is supported by 54 % of reviewed VPNs
- Windows:YesWindows is supported by 100 % of reviewed VPNs
- xBox:NoxBox is supported by 20 % of reviewed VPNs
- Brave : NoThe Brave browser add-on is offered by 45 % of reviewed VPNs.
- Chrome :NoThe Chrome browser add-on is offered by 45 % of reviewed VPNs.
- Edge :NoThe Edge browser add-on is offered by 19 % of reviewed VPNs.
- Firefox :NoThe Firefox browser add-on is offered by 35 % of reviewed VPNs.
- Opera :NoThe Opera browser add-on is offered by 45 % of reviewed VPNs.
- Safari :NoThe Safari browser add-on is offered by 0 % of reviewed VPNs.
- Vivaldi :NoThe Vivaldi browser add-on is offered by 45 % of reviewed VPNs.
With one user account, iTop VPN Free can be used on 5 devices simultaneously. Compared to other free VPNs, this is a good number.
However, iTop VPN Free has major compatibility flaws. The app is only available for the most common Windows, iOS, Android, and macOS platforms.
It lacks support for smart TVs, game consoles, and routers. The router has the advantage of being treated as a single device while it can protect all connected devices. The iTop VPN Free does not even include an extension for web browsers.
Although iTop VPN Free has a competitive advantage in the number of connectable devices, its compatibility is insufficient. VPNs are under constant development, so it is possible that the supported platforms will be expanded in the future.
iTop VPN Free App: User-friendliness, whitelist, server selection…
- App Languages: 🇺🇸 English +12 more🇩🇪 German 🇪🇸 Spanish 🇫🇷 French 🇵🇹 Portuguese 🇮🇹 Italian 🇨🇳 Chinese 🇷🇺 Russian 🇵🇱 Polish 🇦🇪 Arabic 🇳🇱 Dutch 🇸🇪 Swedish 🇩🇰 Danish
- Whitelisting: NoWhitelisting is supported by 52 % of reviewed VPNs
The iTop VPN Free app is simple to use for the average user. The environment is similar in all versions, the downside is that it only supports dark mode, which cannot be changed to light. The single control panel is displayed non-standardly at the bottom of the screen on mobile devices instead of the native location on the left. Instructions for downloading and installing the apps are available on the website.
The iTop VPN Free apps are available in 13 languages, English included.
Like all non-paid VPNs, iTop VPN Free limits users to the amount of data transferred. Compared to the competition, the limit is generous, with 700 MB per day possible.
The free variant iTop VPN Free offers fewer features compared to the paid one. For example, the whitelist is missing, and the user experience may be marred by a large number of pop-ups advertising the paid version. It is possible to change the language and password of the account directly in the app or delete the entire account.
The user can choose the server manually or use the Smart Location feature, which automatically selects the fastest and most stable server. For each available server, its current response speed in ms is displayed.
An annoying limitation of iTop VPN Free is waiting for a server before connecting. This is because users of the free variant are only behind users with a subscription iTop VPN Pro. Often, however, the delay is minimal. Once connected to the server, the application sends a notification, and the main control panel icon turns green. Favorite servers can be marked with an asterisk to add them to a custom list, displaying recently used servers.
iTop VPN Free Connection Speed: Upload, Download & Latency
- Traffic limit: 21 GB per month
Unlike some free services, iTop VPN Free does not artificially reduce connection speed. Users can therefore achieve the same speeds as iTop VPN Pro subscribers on most servers. Only one group of servers located in the US has limited speeds, marked with a globe icon in the list.
Nevertheless, the speeds measured for iTop VPN Free are weaker compared to the competition. During testing, we measured the average download of 24 Mb/s and the average upload of 13 Mb/s. Such low values may pose a problem when streaming 4K video, for which a connection speed of at least 50 MB/s is generally required.
When testing response speeds, we had inconsistent results, with significant differences between servers. The average response rate was 130 ms.
iTop VPN Free Server Locations
- Number of servers: 100The average number of servers for the reviewed VPNs is 1661.
- Number of countries: 7The average number of countries available for the reviewed VPNs is 40.
Europe 🇫🇷 France 🇩🇪 Germany 🇬🇧 United Kingdom North America 🇺🇸 USA South America Asia 🇮🇳 India 🇸🇬 Singapore Africa Oceania 🇦🇺 Australia
In the non-paid version of iTop VPN Free, you can connect to 100 different servers in 7 countries around the world. Users can choose which country they connect to, which is not standard with free services.
Servers in the USA, United Kingdom, and Australia are also on the list. The total number of servers is not high, but it does not stand out compared to free VPNs.
All features iTop VPN Free are available on all servers. Classic servers are only offered in the US, the downside is their speed limit.
The iTop VPN Free has gaming-optimized servers that can be used for Minecraft, Battleground, Roblox, Mobile Legends, and Call of Duty in the mobile version. The remaining servers are reserved for Sling TV, Pluto TV, adult content sites, Twitch, Crunchyroll, beIn Sports, and Snapchat.
iTop VPN Free Security Features: DNS Leak Protection, Kill Switch…
- DNS leak protection : YesDNS leak protection is offered by 93% of the reviewed VPNs.
- Kill Switch: YesKill Switch is supported by 85% of the reviewed VPNs.
- Multi-Hop: NoMulti-Hop connection is offered by 20 % of the VPNs reviewed.
- Tor: YesTor support is offered by 18 % of the reviewed VPNs.
iTop VPN Free lacks the basic kill switch feature that disconnects users from the Internet when they lose connection to the VPN. This prevents the user’s true location from being discovered and their data from being compromised.
Neither is ad blocking, malware blocking, or tracker blocking available. The iTop VPN Free also lacks multi-hop, which routes connections through two different servers.
A disappointing feature of the free version iTop VPN Free is the lack of two-factor authentication.
While DNS protection is available for all unblocked servers, DNS request leaks have been reported in the past with iTop VPN Free. The VPN uses OpenVPN (both UDP and TCP) and PPTP protocols.
We consider the security of iTop VPN Free to be insufficient. The VPN lacks some basic security features, and the observed data leakage poses a security risk.
iTop VPN Free & Streaming: Netflix, YouTube, Amazon Prime…
- Amazon Prime: NoAmazon Prime streaming is supported by 51 % of reviewed VPNs
- Disney+: NoDisney+ streaming is supported by 54 % of reviewed VPNs
- HBO: NoHBO streaming is supported by 57 % of reviewed VPNs
- Hulu: NoHulu streaming is supported by 48 % of reviewed VPNs
- Netflix: NoNetflix streaming is supported by 65 % of reviewed VPNs
- YouTube: YesYouTube streaming is supported by 95 % of reviewed VPNs
Streaming with iTop VPN Free doesn’t help, nor does the fact that users only have 700 MB of data transferred per day. The download speed of 24 Mb/s could also pose problems when playing ultra-high resolution content.
Features of iTop VPN Free: AdBlock, Static IP…
- Blocks Ads: NoAd blocking is offered by 43 % of the VPNs reviewed.
- Blocks Malware: NoMalware blocking is offered by 33 % of the VPNs reviewed.
- Blocks Trackers: NoTrackers blocking is offered by 36 % of the VPNs reviewed.
The range of iTop VPN Free features is quite limited.
The iTop VPN Free doesn’t offer ad blocking or tracker blocking and doesn’t have malware protection, which some free VPNs offer by default. For example, AdGuard VPN Free performs well in this regard.
Static IP address or port forwarding was also not available with iTop VPN Free at the time of writing the review.
The only available features of iTop VPN Free are the IP Checker (displays basic information about the current IP address) and the Speed Test (measures the current download and response speed when connected to the server).
The above-mentioned features marked as unavailable can be obtained with a paid subscription iTop VPN Pro. They cannot be purchased individually.
iTop VPN Free‘s CPU usage and App Performance
The performance requirements of the device from the iTop VPN Free application are average.
Applications of this type usually do not develop a noticeable load, which was also confirmed for iTop VPN Free. At the same time, the load is lower than in the paid version, ironically due to the absence of some features. In our test, the device showed no signs of slowing down, heating up, or increasing power consumption.
After closing the app with a cross, iTop VPN Free continues to run in the background, consuming extra power. This can be avoided by disabling the connection to the server using the main icon in the control panel.
Performance can also be reduced by disabling some features while using the application (for example, Smart Location).
iTop VPN Free Torrenting Servers
- Torrenting servers: NoTorrenting support is offered by 88 % of the reviewed VPNs.
The free version of iTop VPN Free does not support torrenting.
The paid version iTop VPN Pro has 5 servers dedicated to torrenting, supporting 6 selected client applications. However, other paid services such as CyberGhost VPN, Surfshark, or NordVPN can be considered the best VPN for torrenting.
What is the country of origin of iTop VPN Free?
- VPN Provider:
- Country of origin: 🇭🇰 Hong Kong
The developer and operator of iTop VPN Free is iTop Inc., which was founded in 2016. The company creates applications that make it easier to work on electronic devices and improve security when moving around the internet. In 2020, the first version iTop VPN Pro was released, from which a non-paid version is also based.
The company is headquartered in Hong Kong, which is not the most suitable location for services of this type. The island is notorious for monitoring the activities of its citizens and the associated censorship problems.
Additionally, users from the US are subject to the laws there, and the US is part of the Five-Eyes countries that collect information on its citizens and share it across the group.
iTop VPN Free and Privacy: Logging Policy, Security Issues…
- No-Logs Policy: YesThe No-Logs Policy is followed by 78% of reviewed VPNs.
iTop VPN Free stores more data than is common with competing services. Personal data may subsequently be sold. According to the operator iTop VPN Free, the free plan logs data related to the use of the service.
Information that iTop VPN Free does not collect includes information about the user’s original IP address, DNS queries, browsing history, traffic destinations, and transmitted data.
However, there is much more data stored. User account information is collected: email address, password, and diagnostic data ranging from the number and frequency of logins, operating system of the device used, preferred servers, features used, and more.
iTop Inc. does not share information regarding requests from external authorities to release sensitive data associated with users. However, the operation of iTop VPN Free falls under the laws of China and the US, which are known for tracking their citizens.
No audits were conducted during the operation of iTop VPN Free, but numerous DNS request leaks were independently noted. No other sensitive data leaks were detected.
The above constitutes a security risk, as a result of which iTop VPN Free cannot be considered a fully trusted service.
iTop VPN Free Support: Chat, e-mail…
Technical support is available directly in the iTop VPN Free application or on the website. In both cases, it is a form in which the user describes his problem and enters the email address to which he wishes to receive a reply.
Writing directly to the e-mail address (firstname.lastname@example.org) is also possible. As this is an unpaid version, priority is given to queries from paying users.
A disappointment during our testing of support was the brevity of the answers, which some users might not be comfortable with.
iTop VPN Free FAQ
Is iTop VPN Free secure?Although iTop VPN Free supports Open VPN and PPTP protocols, we do not consider it to be a secure or trusted VPN. According to a statement on its website, the service collects significantly more data than its competitors, logs VPN-related activity, and then sells the information it collects. In addition, DNS request leaks have been reported in the past for iTop VPN Free.
Is iTop VPN Free operated by a Chinese company?Yes, iTop VPN Free is operated by a Chinese company founded in 2016. iTop Inc., has been based in Hong Kong since its founding, and its main products include applications related to secure internet movement and improving work on smart devices.
What is the difference between free iTop VPN Free and paid iTop VPN Pro?The free version iTop VPN Free is subject to logging and subsequent sale of the collected data, while the logs are not stored for the paid version.
The iTop VPN Pro offers significantly more features, including ad-blocking, streaming video, and torrent support. It also has the advantage of better security by supporting kill switch, split tunneling, or static IP address. Users of iTop VPN Pro are not limited by the amount of data transferred, and technical support is available to them around the clock.
What are the advantages of iTop VPN Free compared to other free VPNs?A few advantages of iTop VPN Free over other free VPNs include the ability to connect on 5 devices simultaneously, servers optimized for gaming, and a solid 700MB per day data cap.
iTop VPN Free
iTop VPN Free 💵 VPN Price: Free 📱 Device limit: 5 🎞️Unblocks Netflix: No 🔌 Router Support: No 📄 No-Logs Policy: Yes 🛡 Kill Switch: Yes 🖥️Number of servers: 100 🗺️Country of origin: Hong Kong
Top Ten VPNs
Articles about VPNs
- Windows 10: Eight Ways You Can Protect Your Privacy
- What Is a VPN and How Does It Work? 4 Usage Examples
- 💀 Best VPN for torrenting: 10 tips based on speed and privacy
- How to Install a VPN on a Mac
- VPN Guide: What is a VPN Connection and How does it Work?
- What Is Whitelisting for VPNs and What Is It Good For?
- Disney Plus: Subscription Prices in 61 Countries 
- How To Watch
- Airbnb long-term rental scam: Red flags and exposed scammers
- 🎮 Best VPN for gaming: 10 tips for PS and Xbox with low ping
- Chrome :
- Android TV: