Opera Free VPN Review 2023: 5 cons and 2 pros
Opera Free VPN: 5 Disadvantages & 2 Advantages
- Protects only browser searches
- Connection speed fluctuates significantly
- It does not increase the security level of the connection
- Almost no extra features
- Little connection countries available
- No need to download, VPN is integrated in the browser
- Unlimited use
Opera is known for its browser, within which it offers a free VPN.
In addition to the VPN in the browser, it also offers tracking cookie and ad blocking features. Opera VPN is not a classic virtual private network like others in comparison as it is limited to Opera browser only. Thus, it does not protect other communications from the device (for example, via the email client). Moreover, it is not actually a VPN, but rather a secure proxy that uses the standard HTTPS protocol for encryption.
Thanks to its integration in the browser, it is easy to use and there is no need to download an additional application. We do not recommend using Opera VPN as it does not provide enhanced connection security. It does not have the ability to hide your IP address and is not reliable as it does not offer a kill switch. It is also not suitable for unblocking services and sites due to offering only five countries. Also, the level of privacy offered by Opera VPN cannot be considered satisfactory.
We recommend choosing one of the competing VPNs that we have ranked among the best free VPNs.
Opera Free VPN Subscription: Discount Code, Free Trial, Money Back Guarantee…
- Your Price:
Free (999 devices)
- Money Back Guarantee: No
- Free Trial: No
- Cryptocurrency payments: NoBitcoin :No
Opera’s VPN is completely free, no paid version is offered.
- Your Price:
Opera Free VPN and Supported Devices: Android, iOS, macOS…
- Device limit: Unlimited
- Android:YesAndroid is supported by 100 % of reviewed VPNs
- Android TV:NoAndroid TV is supported by 41 % of reviewed VPNs
- Apple TV:NoApple TV is supported by 23 % of reviewed VPNs
- Fire TV:NoFire TV is supported by 42 % of reviewed VPNs
- Chromebook:NoChromebook is supported by 18 % of reviewed VPNs
- Chromecast:NoChromecast is supported by 22 % of reviewed VPNs
- iOS:YesiOS is supported by 98 % of reviewed VPNs
- Kodi:NoKodi is supported by 27 % of reviewed VPNs
- Linux:YesLinux is supported by 54 % of reviewed VPNs
- Mac:YesMac is supported by 98 % of reviewed VPNs
- NAS:NoNAS is supported by 30 % of reviewed VPNs
- nVidia Shield:NonVidia Shield is supported by 26 % of reviewed VPNs
- Playstation:NoPlaystation is supported by 28 % of reviewed VPNs
- Raspberry Pi:NoRaspberry Pi is supported by 22 % of reviewed VPNs
- Roku:NoRoku is supported by 24 % of reviewed VPNs
- Router:NoRouter is supported by 52 % of reviewed VPNs
- Windows:YesWindows is supported by 100 % of reviewed VPNs
- xBox:NoxBox is supported by 28 % of reviewed VPNs
- Brave :NoThe Brave browser add-on is offered by 53 % of reviewed VPNs.
- Chrome :NoThe Chrome browser add-on is offered by 53 % of reviewed VPNs.
- Edge :NoThe Edge browser add-on is offered by 21 % of reviewed VPNs.
- Firefox :NoThe Firefox browser add-on is offered by 38 % of reviewed VPNs.
- Opera :NoThe Opera browser add-on is offered by 53 % of reviewed VPNs.
- Safari :NoThe Safari browser add-on is offered by 1 % of reviewed VPNs.
- Vivaldi :NoThe Vivaldi browser add-on is offered by 53 % of reviewed VPNs.
Opera VPN doesn’t have a limit on the number of devices that can be used simultaneously. VPNs can be used on all devices with the Opera browser installed. Windows, Mac, Linux, Android and iOS are supported. The VPN program does not support routers or other devices.
Opera Free VPN App: User-friendliness, whitelist, server selection…
- Traffic limit: Unlimited
- App Languages: 🇺🇸 English +110 moreAfrikaans 🇦🇱 Albanian Amharic 🇦🇪 Arabic Aragonese 🇦🇲 Armenian 🇦🇿 Azerbaijani 🇲🇳 Burmese Basque 🇧🇾 Belarusian 🇧🇩 Bengali 🇧🇦 Bosnian Breton 🇧🇬 Bulgarian 🇨🇿 Czech 🇨🇳 Chinese 🇩🇰 Danish Esperanto 🇪🇪 Estonian 🇫🇴 Faroese 🇫🇮 Finnish 🇫🇷 French Galician 🇬🇪 Georgian Gujarati 🇭🇹 Haitian Creole Hausa 🇮🇱 Hebrew 🇮🇳 Hindi 🇭🇷 Croatian 🇮🇩 Indonesian Interlingua 🇮🇪 Irish 🇮🇸 Icelandic 🇮🇹 Italian 🇯🇵 Japanese Javanese Yiddish Yoruba Kannada 🏴 Catalan 🇰🇿 Kazakh Quechua Khmer 🇰🇷 Korean Corsican Kurdish Laotian Latin 🇱🇹 Lithuanian 🇱🇻 Latvian 🇱🇺 Luxembourgish 🇭🇺 Hungarian 🇲🇰 Macedonian Malayalam 🇲🇾 Malay Malagasy 🇲🇹 Maltese Maori Marathi 🇲🇳 Mongolian 🇩🇪 German 🇳🇵 Nepali 🇳🇱 Dutch 🇳🇴 Norwegian Occitan Oromo Punjabi Pashto 🇮🇷 Persian 🇵🇱 Polish 🇵🇹 Portuguese Rhaeto-Romanian 🇷🇴 Romanian 🇷🇺 Russian 🇬🇷 Greek 🇼🇸 Samoan Sindhi Sinhalese Scottish Gaelic 🇸🇰 Slovak 🇸🇮 Slovenian 🇸🇴 Somali 🇷🇸 Serbian Sundanese Swahili Shona 🇪🇸 Spanish 🇸🇪 Swedish 🇹🇯 Tajik Tamil Tatar Telugu 🇹🇭 Thai Tigrinya 🇹🇴 Tongan 🇹🇷 Turkish 🇹🇲 Turkmen Türkic Uyghur 🇺🇦 Ukrainian 🇵🇰 Urdu Urdu 🇺🇿 Uzbek Walloon Welsh 🇻🇳 Vietnamese Wolof Xhosa Zulu
- Whitelisting: NoWhitelisting is supported by 54 % of reviewed VPNs
You don’t need to set up an account to use Opera VPN, just install the Opera browser.
Opera VPN does not offer a whitelist function. The only time you can set to not use VPN automatically is with default search engines. This way, your searches will be localized for your location, but your location will be hidden from the sites you access. The VPN will automatically turn on every time you launch your browser, no need to manually turn on the VPN each time.
The range of browser languages (and therefore VPNs) is very extensive.
VPN control is very simple, the VPN offers almost no configuration options. You can turn off the VPN or set the localisation in the browser’s search bar, where you can find the corresponding button.
Opera Free VPN Connection Speed: Upload, Download & Latency
Opera VPN has no data transfer limit. When we tested Opera VPN Free, we measured mixed speed data, where sometimes the VPN connection was borderline usable and took a long time to load pages, while other times the loading was brisk and the connection speed was reliably fast enough to play 4K content.
Overall, Opera VPN is not suitable for streaming. In most cases, the speed is sufficient for searches where you want a bit more privacy, albeit not comparable to competing VPNs.
Opera Free VPN Server Locations
- Number of servers: 3The average number of servers for the reviewed VPNs is 1549.
- Number of countries: 5The average number of countries available for the reviewed VPNs is 39.
Europe 🇩🇪 Germany 🇳🇱 Netherlands North America 🇨🇦 Canada 🇺🇸 USA South America Asia 🇸🇬 Singapore Africa Oceania
Opera’s VPN doesn’t offer country selection. You can only select a continent (Europe, Asia and America). The number of servers is not given by Opera. Because of the ability to select only a continent, Opera VPN only offers basic unblocking.
Opera Free VPN Security Features: DNS Leak Protection, Kill Switch…
- DNS leak protection : YesDNS leak protection is offered by 96% of the reviewed VPNs.
- Kill Switch: NoKill Switch is supported by 82% of the reviewed VPNs.
- Tor: NoTor support is offered by 12 % of the reviewed VPNs.
Opera does not offer its own DNS servers. However, it is possible to choose encrypted DNS transmission via HTTPS. You can use third-party DNS servers from Cloudflare, Google, or you can add a DNS server manually.
Opera VPN does not offer kill switch, multiple connections, or VPN over Tor. Malware blocking is only possible by setting up Cloudflare’s DNS server to block known malware sites.
VPN connection security is through the HTTPS protocol that is used in normal use, so you won’t get the higher level of security with Opera that you get with other VPNs.
Opera Free VPN & Streaming: Netflix, Youtube, Amazon Prime…
- Amazon Prime: NoAmazon Prime streaming is supported by 51 % of reviewed VPNs
- Disney+: NoDisney+ streaming is supported by 49 % of reviewed VPNs
- HBO: NoHBO streaming is supported by 52 % of reviewed VPNs
- Hulu: NoHulu streaming is supported by 48 % of reviewed VPNs
- Netflix: NoNetflix streaming is supported by 64 % of reviewed VPNs
- YouTube: YesYouTube streaming is supported by 83 % of reviewed VPNs
Opera VPN isn’t suitable for streaming as it doesn’t allow you to select a specific country, offers slow connections, and can’t reliably unblock foreign streaming libraries. With Opera VPN, only Youtube can be unblocked, which is very easy to bypass.
Features of Opera Free VPN: AdBlock, Static IP…
- Blocks Ads: YesAd blocking is offered by 48 % of the VPNs reviewed.
- Blocks Malware: YesMalware blocking is offered by 45 % of the VPNs reviewed.
- Blocks Trackers: YesTrackers blocking is offered by 42 % of the VPNs reviewed.
You can use features built into Opera, such as blocking tracking cookies and ads. Adult content can be blocked via Cloudflare’s special DNS server.
Opera Free VPN‘s CPU usage and App Performance
We did not measure the Opera VPN load because it cannot be measured independently. We did not measure the dependency of VPN usage on Opera’s higher load. Opera loads the computer similarly to other competing browsers.
Opera Free VPN Torrenting Servers
- Torrenting servers: NoTorrenting support is offered by 87 % of the reviewed VPNs.
Opera VPN is not suitable for torrenting because it does not protect the user’s privacy when downloading. Downloading a torrent via Opera VPN is just as unprotected as downloading a torrent without a VPN.
What is the country of origin of Opera Free VPN?
- Country of origin: 🇳🇴 Norway
The company is headquartered in Oslo, Norway. Norway belongs to the so-called 14 Eyes Countries. Countries in this grouping are known for monitoring the internet activities of their citizens, collecting and sharing them across the alliance. That’s why it’s important for VPNs to have good encryption and privacy conditions.
Opera Free VPN and Privacy: Logging Policy, Security Issues…
- No-Logs Policy: YesThe No-Logs Policy is followed by 85% of reviewed VPNs.
- Multi-Hop: NoMulti-Hop connection is offered by 30 % of the VPNs reviewed.
Opera only states directly on its built-in VPN service that it does not store any search information or the IP address of the device when used.
Your general position may be used for advertisements in the Opera browser. In the event of an application error, data about the browser version, operating system, platform, as well as data stored in memory related to the error may be used.
Compared to other VPNs, Opera VPN has access to a larger amount of data in the browser that could potentially be used to link searches to the user. On the other hand, the advantage is that there is no need to create an account to use Opera VPN.
Opera Free VPN Support: Chat, e-mail…
Opera VPN support is offered on Opera’s FAQ page, as well as through the tutorials page and forum.
Opera Free VPN
Opera Free VPN 💵 VPN Price: Free 📱 Device limit: Unlimited 🎞️Unblocks Netflix: No 🔌 Router Support: No 📄 No-Logs Policy: Yes 🛡 Kill Switch: No 🖥️Number of servers: 3 🗺️Country of origin: Norway
Top Ten VPNs
Articles about VPNs
- Tesla Energy Saver is a Scam. We Know What’s Inside the Device!
- Eurorest voucher review: Is it a scam or a good deal?
- How to Unblock a Website with a VPN
- Black Friday VPN Deals 2023: Up to 85% off Surfshark and Atlas VPN
- How to Protect Your Privacy on the Internet
- How to Set Up a VPN on Android
- What a VPN is for: An Easy-to-Understand Guide for Beginners
- How to Choose a VPN: A Simple Guide for Beginners
- Best Free VPNs 2023: 10 Tips for Netflix, Android, and iOS
- How to install a VPN on an iPhone
- Chrome :
- Android TV: