Principles when preparing reviews
Standards for published texts
The editorial team of the VPN wiki prepares the reviews, guides, articles, and other texts. The editors of VPN wiki have many years of experience publishing texts on the Internet and are students and graduates of technical schools.
Authors of reviews and other texts must follow set policies and ethical rules to ensure the content’s independence, expertise, and honesty. In addition, the published information is on thorough independent testing of the service or product by the author of the text.
The operators of the reviewed services do not influence the text’s final form.
The texts on the VPN wiki are prepared in Czech or English by default. However, they are localised into other languages by professional translators. Another proofreader then checks the quality of the text.
Proceeds from the sale of the services mentioned
The VPN wiki operator may collect commissions from purchases made by the user after clicking on some of the links on the site.
However, the possibility of earning a commission must not affect the content or overall message of the review, according to the ethical rules set. It may, however, affect the overall grade of the reviewed service.
Calculating the overall grade of a service
The final VPN grade is the sum of the partial grades. The scores for speed, features, number of servers and devices, and privacy and security are evaluated automatically according to the tests of expert editors.
The possible score in each sub-rating categories is 0-10 points. Each sub-category contributes 20% to the final grade.
The score in this sub-category is the sum of the scores for the measured download speed, upload speed, and server response rate. The measured values correspond to the average of at least five measurements that the expert reviewers have repeated.
- Download speed: over 75 Mbps = 4 points, 50-75 Mbps = 2 points, less than 50 Mbps = 1 point
- Upload speed: over 75 Mbps = 3 points, 50-75 Mbps = 2 points, less than 50 Mbps = 1 point
- Server response: less than 10 ms = 3 points, 10-20 ms = 2 points, more than 20 ms = 1 point
The grade in this category corresponds to the sum of the points obtained for the selected supported features:
- Netflix streaming support: +2 points
- Unlimited data transfer each month: +2 points
- Ad blocking support: +1 point
- Malware blocking support: +1 point
- Support tracker blocking: +1 point
- Android platform support: +1 point
- iOS platform support: +1 point
- Windows platform support: +1 point
3️⃣ Number of servers and devices
The final grade is the sum of the sub-grades for the number of servers offered and the number of simultaneously connectable devices in the service price:
- Number of servers is 1,000 or more: +5 points
- Number of servers is 100-999: +4 points
- Number of servers is 25-99: +3 points
- Number of servers is 10-24: +2 points
- Number of servers is less than 10: +1 point
- Number of simultaneously connected devices is 5 or more: +5 points
- Number of simultaneously connectable devices are 4: +4 points
- Number of simultaneously connectable devices are 3: +3 points
- Number of simultaneously connectable devices are 2: +2 points
- The number of simultaneously connectable devices is 1: +1 point
4️⃣ Privacy and Security
The grade in this category is the sum of the sub-points awarded for supporting features that provide enhanced security when using a VPN.
- Support for DNS disclosure protection: +3 points
- VPN does not store user logs: +3 points
- Kill switch support: +2 points
- Multi-hop connection support: +2 points
5️⃣ Price/performance ratio
VPN wiki experts are awarded points for the value of a given service relative to its price, benefit to the user, and commercial benefit to the VPN wiki operator.
The final score in this sub-category may be influenced by the amount of commission the site operator receives for the sale of the service.